Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Monday, August 13, 2012

RV-14A Thoughts HOBBS 1440.0 hrs


Well, my thoughts on the RV-14...hmm, where to start?? I emailed Sean Blair about 6 months ago about a "skunkworks" idea I had to modify an RV-7 and make it bigger. It went something like this. Increase fuel capacity to 60 gals, increase baggage capacity to 150 lbs, make the cockpit wider, wingspan would increase as would fuse length, use a 200+hp engine...and still maintain aerobatic flight capability. Sound like the RV-14??

So, when I heard (Sean Thomas text me a pic when it was announced at OSH), I was pissed...I think I actually said "shit!" I thought, that's MY PLANE! Almost exactly as I had envisioned it.

But, then when I saw it at OSH...sat in it, poked and prodded it...I was underwhelmed to be honest. Here are my thoughts/observations...
  • Cockpit is definitely roomier...but not a ton
  • It uses the RV-10 airfoil and flap design
  • Baggage area is noticeably bigger...but I dont think they upped the 100 lb limit?
  • The tip up canopy should've been redesigned to eliminate water leakage into the avionics bay...nothing was done to address this which is disappointing. The hinge points should be moved outboard to the sides of the fuse like the -12. The canopy structure kinda looks flimsy too...all riveted sheet metal now
  • The canopy is not as streamlined, it has a bubble look...looks more like a -12 canopy
  • All control surface leading edges are riveted like our rudder...this should eliminate the builder error of not forming the trailing edges properly, not bending them straight
  • The empennage looks like an RV9 emp, bigger trim tab and HS
  • At first glance, you can hardly tell its not an RV7...in fact, when it taxiied up for the first time, rumor has it somebody said "where is the new RV?" With the reply, "right in front of you!" :)
Bottom line, I dont have the envy I thought I would...I'm happy with my RV-7. BUT...if I were a new buyer right now, I'd probably go with the RV14. I just think it will be a nice ride for long cross country flights but still be able to roll and loop when desired. Roll rate will be diminished but I could live with that for more room and added fuel. The different look of the canopy would grow on you too I think.
 
As for the engine...I think it would be just fine with a 200+hp IO-375 like mine...no requirement to stick with the -390 b/c they are too expensive in my opinion.


RV-12 style graphics...at least they are trying to be more creative. The original Van's logo is so uninspired.


The N-numbers are vinyl, not painted...look good


A little bit of nice interior...I could never understand why Van's demo planes dont have nicer interiors. You are trying to show off your product...the least you could do is put in some nice seats. Also notice the bullet pin that secures the canopy, I like this...similar to the Diamond's I fly.


Notice the bent sticks for better room, a nice change...similar to the -10. Also, check out the canopy frame...not sure I like the look of it?


Riveted trailing edges everywhere....


Rubber seal at the front of the canopy...avionics bay


Baggage compartment...it is bigger, which is nice


Another shot of the canopy


Notice the plastic block for the canopy latch...a lot of builders do something like this now. GoPro camera mount...I bought one of these at OSH this year.


BIG trim tab...and HS


As mentioned, same airfoil and flaps as the -10...

No comments:

Post a Comment