Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Monday, August 27, 2012

Rocky Mountain Airshow 2012 HOBBS 1484.0 hrs


I had a very busy aviation-filled weekend...unfortunately, most of my time wasn't invested in building...but that's ok, this was time well spent nonetheless. Here in the Denver metro area, we have an annual airshow that has evolved and switched locations several times over the years. It was once called the Rocky Mountain Regional Fly In, and although, you still see that moniker used...I don't think it is an EAA sponsored event any longer?

Now, it usually just goes by the name "Rocky Mountain Airshow" and its held at Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport (BJC) where I learned to fly and did my solo flight. Whatever the case, it has been getting better and better the last couple years...and this year was by far the best as they set an attendance record on Saturday. Kirby Chambliss, Melissa and her husband Rex Pemberton, the new "Rocky Mountain Renegades" and the F-22 Raptor flight demonstration were the highlights of the show this year.


The airshow is now a three day/night event. Friday night is the sunset/night airshow and fireworks display. Bob and Shawn Kinney (Bonanza owners) were my wonderful hosts Friday night...kicking off the evening with a hangar party and adult beverages, followed by watching the airshow/fireworks from the ramp. And as you can see from my cheesy iPhone photos...it was a glorious sunset and an enjoyable evening. With the Rocky mountains in the background...it was breath taking.



I was invited to another hangar party at Bob and Mary Markert's wonderful hangar on Saturday morning. This turned out to be another great day being around all things aviation. I could get used to this life. ;)

Bob's hangar is just a few hangars down (and in the same row) as fellow RV7(A) builder Sean Thomas, who shares the hangar with Jim Gray (award winning RV8) and Steve Bergevin (Giles G-202) ...who are both members of the "Rocky Mountain Renegades" RV flight demonstration team. So, of course I ended up hanging out with the team most of the day and late into the evening. Most of them are former military...and you probably know how colorful military pilots are after a few beers....great, great stories! This was their first actual (official) airshow performance and I was quite impressed with their routine as were many in attendance, they did an excellent job. I'm hoping to one day fly with them...first things first however, need to finish my plane! ;)


Bob's hangar party consisted of quite a few of his motorcycle buddies (Bob and Mary both own Harley's)...I also rode my motorcycle, its tucked in there somewhere. It was quite a scene with about 30 bikes parked in front of the hangar.


Here is the only pic I got of the Renegades (although Sean was filming great video all weekend) as they were taxiing out for their Sunday performance. I didn't carry a camera all weekend...so you're stuck with iPhone quality pics. :)

Saturday was an all day affair, as we ended up going to a VIP party for the airshow performers later that night...where I met Melissa and Rex Pemberton (sorry no pics) and was rubbing elbows with the F-22 team. Melissa was very friendly and personable, mature beyond her 28 yrs, a great ambassador for aviation...I enjoyed talking aerobatics with her. Oh, and she's pretty cute too. :)

I had so much fun Saturday, I came back out on Sunday and spent the day again. My instructor, Dagmar flew the Pitts into the field and I introduced her to Melissa--who had requested an introduction Saturday night...as they are both going to be competing next month in the National aerobatic championships in Texas and had never met. It was cool to see two generations of women pilots talking about flying...and oh yeah, Kirby (quite a funny guy) was also hanging around chatting with us....ho hum. I was in awe, pinch me, this is aerobatic royalty for gosh sakes!

What a weekend! Special thanks to all my wonderful friends for their warm hospitality, I am fortunate they let me hang around...Bob and Shawn, Bob and Mary, Jim and Lindsy Gray, Sean and Dianna. Great, great people...one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment