Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Wednesday, August 22, 2012

ANL Current Limiter HOBBS 1476.5 hrs

I spent some time installing my shunt and ANL current limiter on the firewall. Another one of those tasks that is pretty straightforward, but seemed to eat up a lot of time. Adding a doubler to the backside of the firewall was part of the time consuming part.
 
When you get to the FWF stuff, you are very much on your own. The learning curve has been steep for me. Since all FWF installs are slightly different, Van's doesn't give you much documentation to go on. You will have to mix and match for your particular setup. Thankfully, today, there are many good builder websites to look at that have similar or identical systems to yours.
 
I am following Bob Nuckolls Aeroelectric Connection as my guide for all things electrical. His book is far and away the best reference I have found out there for homebuilt aircraft electrical systems.
 
First things first, what the heck is an ANL current limiter...at least that was my initial question? Bob recommends this, and since he knows much more than I do about such things, I am putting my faith in him. Basically, "it is a device that behaves like a fuse with much longer time constraints" (Knuckles). It is used for protection of the alternator B-lead. Here are some pics of my install...
 
 
You can buy your ANL current limiter, base and optional cover from B&C. This cover, only about $7 is a nice addition to protect the device...it gives it a nice professional look too. You can see, this current limiter is a 60A version, to match my 60A alternator. Be sure to choose the correct one for your install.
 

I mounted my shunt (from Dynon) directly underneath it, connected by a copper bar. Notice the small cuts in the shunt bar element. I emailed Dynon about those, since I didn't see those on other installs and was curious why mine had them? They said they have switched to a new supplier and that's how they calibrate the shunt.


Here is a shot of the full install...showing the connection to the master and starter solenoids...again, with shrink tubed copper bar. Notice, mine is moved over to the left to have easy access around the engine mount. Always keep ease of future maintenance in the back of your mind when doing your FWF layout.


The install, like I said, was pretty straightforward, but it took me a couple hours nonetheless. And a parting shot of my bloody hand (really just small cuts...looks worse than it is)...watch out for the sharp SS firewall when you drill holes in it, gosh I hate drilling the firewall. Just another reason to LOVE working with aluminum. Hey, you cant build one of these puppies without shedding some blood, sweat and tears!! Check!

No comments:

Post a Comment