Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Monday, August 13, 2012

AirVenture 2012 HOBBS 1440.0 hrs


A real quick roundup of AirVenture 2012. This year I took some time to ponder the fact that this will be my last as an "active" builder. Next year, my plane should surely be flying. When you are an active builder, Oshkosh has a different meaning for you. Its a time to visit vendors, ask questions, take seminars and do your duty as a patriotic American and "stimulate the economy." Just doing my part to get us out of this recession...you're welcome. ;)

In short, if you're like me, you're very busy! I had three full days and two half days...during the three days, it was non-stop walking for me, I had a big laundry list of things to do. This meant not much time for rest, or socializing. I spent some time at the SOS beer brothers tent in the evenings, but other than that I didn't see many of the RV regulars. Next year should be different.

New for me this year was a backpack camp stove and a french press for my morning coffee (notice the pic above). It was a nice addition to my setup. Here are a few random pics from my travels...




A real nice RV10...not sure of the owner, but the FWF was immaculate work. Considering I am doing FWF work on my -7, this was something I was impressed with...and snapped quite a few pics.




And of course, gotta have an immaculate RV7 in the mix...Peter Freuhling (I think that's his name?) built this -7 and had it at the Garmin booth. Its a real nice looking plane as you can see. I was interested in his Sam James cowl install.



Finally got to see Chris Sands' RV7...although it has a new owner now. I didn't take any pics of the entire plane as there are quite a few already on my site. One thing that I didn't notice before was this hand hold he put on the canopy. I like the idea, but I grabbed it and wasn't too convinced it was that useful...couldn't get my fingers in there very well. But I do like the idea...and of course, it was good craftsmanship.




I always like looking at the panels at the Aerosport products booth...here is one I liked.


Rob Holland's plane...notice the prop...look familiar? Same blades as mine...very cool!



I like this rudder gust lock, will probably go this route with my plane.


I like the idea of adding a small access door for the tire valve stem...pondering that for my plane.



There were three cute little college girls wandering around at the SOS beer brothers tent. The deal was they were fund raising for their college gymnastics team. $20 for a raffle ticket to win a new Camaro. It was the perfect combination for extracting money from me...I had a couple beers, they were darn cute and very personable young ladies...I don't think they ever stopped smiling, the Camaro was slick, I like to support sports of all kinds-especially college, I'm a fan of gymnastics (my niece Kaylee is quite a good gymnast)...and they would do a backflip for you if you bought a ticket (over the course of a couple hours, they must've done 20 backflips)! Ok, I'm in!


Last night...sunset from Scholler...until next time, hopefully I will be flying Wablosa by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment