Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Friday, August 10, 2012

Inverted Spins HOBBS 1440.0 hrs


I wanted to post a quick update on my latest aerobatic training in the Pitts (actually this lesson was over a month ago). My third lesson was devoted almost exclusively to inverted spins. Essentially everything we did in the upright spin lesson was duplicated, inverted. I knew it was going to be a little different ballgame when Dagmar gave me some twine to tie my David Clark headset on my head before we got in the cockpit. She said the negative G's will pull my headset right off my head if not.

If I were to use one word to describe inverted spins, it would have to be "disorienting". I realize that is probably obvious, but it was quite amazing just how disorienting it really is. Every time we finished a spin I had to look around for landmarks on the ground to determine where I was and which direction I was now heading just to get my bearings recalibrated. The other thing that adds to the disorientation is that inverted, everything is mirrored...and rudder inputs are reversed. To spin to the left, you use right rudder...that takes a little getting used to. Your brain is not used to this world.

Of course, the negative G's certainly are a whole new experience. The G-meter only maxed out at -2 G's for this lesson which may not seem like much, but it felt plenty substantial to this pilot. The way we set up for these was just to roll inverted, forward stick to get the nose "up" until we approach the stall and then full rudder to enter the spin.

After we did quite a few and I had the hang of it, Dagmar wanted to try and get me to accidentally enter into a stall to see how I responded. She is a big fan of "accidental" spin entry and recovery as she says that's what really teaches you good lessons about spin recovery. Getting yourself out of trouble is key. So she had me do an Immelman, which is just a half loop followed by a half roll at the top while maintaining altitude...thinking I would stall at the top during the half roll, which is common with students, I fooled her and didn't. She says, "nice job!"

She's not giving up though. Ok, she says, "lets do a hammerhead"...but really didn't tell me how to execute it properly...by design. She just wanted me to pull into the vertical, screw up the pivot and enter a spin. A botched hammerhead is another good way to enter an inverted spin. I knew this was her thinking...and I obliged. I pulled 4G's into the vertical, quietly grunting, establish a vertical upline, hold it...wait for the airpseed to decay. As we slowed, I started losing rudder and aileron effectiveness and the airplane started to do a torque roll to the left...while we are still pointed straight up mind you. So here we are...pointing straight up, airspeed nearly zero and the plane is pirouetting to the left. Since I wasn't sure how to pivot...we started a tail slide followed by a very nice spin entry. Wooohoo...this is a hoot! And of course, what did I forget in my spin recovery?? Throttle to idle! Of course, Dagmar reminded me...yeah, lets use the word "reminded."

Practicing spins usually has the throttle at idle...but accidental ones, the ones that will get you in trouble, will almost always be the opposite--throttle at full power. You have to cut the power...always, always, always...get in the habit, even when practicing. This was the lesson Dagmar was trying to teach me..worked perfectly...it was now implanted in my psyche.

These two spin lessons have completely erased my fear of spins. I am making a concerted effort not to get over confident, but to be honest, I feel extremely comfortable now with spins and spin recovery. I would have no problem going out in the Pitts tomorrow and doing spins solo. With a safe altitude, recovery from a spin in the S-2C is very simple. Now that my fears have been vanquished, I have to admit I really enjoy the crap out of them, they are a ton of fun! I didn't think I would EVER say that. So, get an instructor and go out and try 'em for yourself...see what you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment