Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Friday, January 21, 2011

Chris Sands RV7 HOBBS 441.0 hrs


Spent a few hours this week, sandwiched between schoolwork and a social engagement, peeling skins and doing edge prep work, dimpling next. Trying to get all of the skins prepped and ready for riveting. My ER tank supplies came in from Van's yesterday so I plan to tackle the 3rd fuel tank this weekend! woohoo!

Check out this outstanding picture (remember you can click on the photo for a larger view) of an RV7 posted on VAF. Simply stunning photography and paint job! I swear to you just so you know I'm not copying Mr. Sands, my fuselage paint scheme (my hand sketched drawings) looks very similar to this scheme (minus the checkerboard). :) Just swap the colors for red/black.

This certainly gives me confidence that my scheme will also look good when done...thats assuming mine comes out this nice. Hand sketches are quite different than real life. Anyhow, hope you enjoyed these photos as much as I did. Nice job Chris and whoever your painter was. In my humble opinion, this is what an RV7 should look like. I am not a fan of the 'bare bones' utilitarian RV's that are out there. Panel work is also exquisite and courtesy of SteinAir.

[On as a side note: I have not obtained permission from Mr. Sands to use these photos although I am trying to get his contact information. I am also not sure if permission is required under the fair use copyright laws of the United States as long as I provide information and/or a link to the rightful owner? (which I have done)] [Edit 01/24/11: I recieved permission from Chris, thanks Chris. Let me add, regardless of the legality of posting someone else's photos. It is, at the very least, ethical and polite to ask permission...which I always try to do. By the way, this plane is for sale, $129,000 and its all yours! Edit 04/11/11: Chris told me he sold this plane within an hour of posting it for sale...not too shabby in this economy.]


2 comments:

  1. Does anyone have Chris Sands contact detail????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I don't...I contacted him when I did this post, but haven't talked with him since.

      Delete