Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Wing Skins HOBBS 414.5 hrs

Well, I got a little bogged down over the last half of the holiday weekend...at least with the project, as I didnt get back on it the last two days. I had to attend to some 'chores' around the house that were long overdue. And yep, even us single guys have 'chores' to do from time to time. ;)

I've learned that as a single guy, I dont have any 'checks and balances' in place that most married men have to keep them honest. Besides school, the plane tends to take priority over everything. I dont have anyone in my ear saying, "honey, could you take care of this or that before working on the plane?" So I have to police myself...and let me tell you, its tough....work on the plane or clean the kitchen?? hmmmm...what would you do? :)

So, with those much needed tasks behind me, I started in on the top wing skins last night...dimpling, edge prep, getting 'em ready for riveting.


Here is a nice little tip I picked up from the RV community. Use a piece of water pipe or conduit to remove the blue plastic from the skins...worked like a charm.



It goes without saying, make sure you mark your skins before dimpling...check, double check...


Dont forget to omit the rivets shown for attaching the wing fairing later...I made this mistake on my emp, but not this time! :)


And a nicely finished wing skin...ready for riveting

No comments:

Post a Comment