Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Sunday, July 25, 2010

SoCal RV-ators HOBBS 256.5 hrs

This weekend I was host to several (count 6!) Southern California RV-ators that were stopping into the mile high city on their way out to OSH 2010. They came in saturday afternoon and Scott, Gary and I met them out at the hangar around 3:30 in the afternoon after having lunch of bbq-ed hot dogs and beer. I do enjoy hanging out with the boys at the hangar.

There were three RV's, two RV6A's and an RV7A carrying six pilot/crew...Mercedes, Rich, Dan, Griffin, Karen and Sean. The original plan was to put four of them at Scott and Deb's and the remaining two at my house. Well, as with most things in life, plans changed unexpectedly. Scott's car had issues on the way to dinner, we were thinking it was a faulty fuel pump. Good timing huh? We had to pile into my truck to shuttle everyone to dinner and then Scott and I towed his car to a vacant mall closeby. Since Scott wasnt sure if he was going to be able to leave with the group as planned in the morning because of his disabled vehicle, we decided to put everyone up at my house since it was a closer drive to the airport.

Well, as I wasnt planning on having 6 people as guests it was bound to be interesting!! haha! But, amazingly enough, everybody was patient and we pulled it off without a hitch and it actually turned into a very pleasant visit with good new friends. I had 4 people in the two guest bedrooms with queen size beds and the remaining two ended up on the two couches. I managed to get everyone off the floor so it was a success and somehow I rounded up enough bedding and towels for everyone. It wasnt the Hyatt, but I think everyone had a pleasant stay considering the last minute change in plans. We were all up early, had some fresh ground coffee, good conversation and we poked and prodded at my wings in progress in the garage before our trip back to the airport.

They all thanked me profusely and told me I now have multiple Southern California destinations I had a welcome place to stay. I enjoyed meeting them all and told them when my bird was flying I just might take them up on their offers. Another shining example of the great RV hospitality and people.

Here are some pics from their arrival, stupid me forgot my camera when they joined four other RV's for a 7 ship departure for OSH. It was a pretty cool sight as I watched them all take off into the wild blue speeding into the distance at a rate of 3 miles/min. By afternoon they will have crossed several states.

You can have your snowmobiles, ATV's, dirt bikes and ski-doo's...but for my money, there is simply nothing cooler than being an aircraft owner and pilot....and the icing on the cake is if you happened to build said airplane with your own hands!! It should be pretty easy to see why I am passionate about this 'obsession'. After seeing them off, of course I headed home and then immediately out to the shop to continue converting my pile of aluminum into a flying machine. I will join them in OSH on wednesday, arriving by way of the peasants, by aluminum tube (commercial airliner). One day I will arrive in my very own chariot...until then, the journey continues.


'39-Alpha' loaded and ready for OSH


Gary's bird also awaiting departure


Dan's gorgeous 'slider' RV6A with Griffin as co-pilot




Mercedes' cougar...;) with Karen in the right seat. Sean's fine looking gray RV7A bringing up the rear with Rich riding along





Discussing dinner plans and the flight out

No comments:

Post a Comment