Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Nice Looking Console HOBBS 252.0 hrs

I saw this center console on VAF, it is pretty much identical to the ideas I have been kicking around in my head for my design. It also has the same interior/seats that I am considering, although obviously in my red/black color scheme. Really looks nice in my opinion. It belongs to John Clement in Melbourne, Australia. He just got his '7' flying this week, I plan to email him after he gets some hours in the cockpit to see how he's liking it and if he'd change anything. That kind of feedback from other builders is invaluable.

I know there are a lot of people that think anyone who would put a center console into an RV is bonkers, but not me. The reasons for not doing it are being cramped in the cockpit, restricted access if you need to get under your panel to work on something and of course added weight. Valid points.


I have several reasons I think I can make this work for me. First, I'm 5'9" and 180 lbs...not huge and dont plan to be putting on weight anytime soon. Second, I plan to spend a lot of time thinking of ways to make it easily removable for maintenance, which I think I can do. Third, weight is not that critical to me, I'll trade weight for comfort in the cockpit any day within reason...I think builders get way too crazy about the weight topic when building these RV's but I'll save that for another post.

I just really think the center console, when done right, can add a lot of comfort, functionality and aesthetics to the cockpit. Here is my reasoning: I like the throttle on the center console so I dont have to reach for it on the panel (nice for formation flying I have read)...this is exactly where its located on the DA20 and I really like it there. I want an arm rest, its amazing how much this improves comfort. Sit in an office chair with and without arm rests once...big difference. Added storage in the console for charts, books, manuals, etc...this will be my map box since I wont have one in the panel. It provides a place to rest your leg up against. When I ride in an RV without a center console as a passenger, there is nowhere to rest your left leg. And lastly, it adds panel space ahead of the throttle quadrant for items such as the fuel selector.

No comments:

Post a Comment