Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Priming Ribs HOBBS 252.0 hrs

Spent a couple hours getting ribs and the aileron hinge brackets ready for primer. The prep work took longer than I expected so I didnt get very far into painting, will do the balance tomorrow or the next. I've got to run over to Bryan's after work to drop off some of my OSH camp equipment with him so he can haul it up. He leaves thursday morning, driving his camper trailer up for the week...yep, Oshkosh 2010 is almost here! More on that later.

I've never done so many large parts in one batch, the amount of prep work caught me off guard. Much different than doing the empennage parts. I am also getting low on my Akzo Nobel primer, I read that Checkoway ran out even before this stage in his project. For some reason I thought one gallon was enough to do the whole project?? I was sure naive on that one! :) So I am already dreading buying more of that stuff. It really works great, its bulletproof, but it sure isnt cheap.

My new Harbor Freight HVLP paint gun, $15...and I'm liking it so far.


My homemade paint rack, I used the cardboard from the empennage box...framed it up to add strength and voila. Works great, cost literally nothing...chicken wire and a couple pieces of scrap 2x4.

No comments:

Post a Comment