Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Friday, January 6, 2012

Mounting My Tires HOBBS 1050.5 hrs


Like a little kid...I wanted to mount my tires, even though I wasn't really near being ready to put the plane on its gear. I figured this would be a fun little side project.

After some deliberation, I decided to go with a little bit larger tires than the stock 500x5's that Van's suggests. I wanted a little extra tire surface and diameter for the occasional foray into a grass strip (like Johnson Creek in Idaho...its on my aviation bucket list) or even better control on asphalt. I realize the RV's aren't Super Cub's but I have heard the taildraggers do just fine on grass strips...and I plan to use that utility. In addition, I want added diameter which translates to added stopping power. [Edit 01/09/12: After thinking about this statement, its true, but not in this application. The larger diameter must occur at the source of braking. So to get added braking power, I would need to increase the wheel diameter to a 600x6] With my ER tanks, I want all the advantages I can get for a possible aborted takeoff fully loaded. I already upgraded my brake calipers so this fits into my strategy nicely. 

I first thought about putting 600x6's on but my research showed that I would have to modify the axle to do this. I really didn't want to be modifying things if I didn't have to.

Searching the VAF archives, I found several instances of guys putting a metric size tire on with good results, 380x150/15x600. The cool thing about these is they are a direct drop-in replacement. Use the same 5.0 in wheels and tubes, but you get 1.0 or 1.5in (??...these measure 15"...not sure about the 500x5's...some say they are 13.5"...some say 14.0"...I, of course don't have one to measure to verify this) increase in diameter and 1.0in increase in width. And they only add 1.5lbs for the pair (I have not verified this either, just going off another builders notes). So, to me, for my intended mission...this is kind of a no-brainer. It all depends on what your mission is for your plane.



As with almost everything on this project...I had to do some research...to educate myself. I had never mounted aircraft tires before or even seen it done. Figured it couldn't be that tough...right? It wasn't, but the research was helpful. And now I can check this off the list of things I now know about...best thing about building one of these is the education you get along the way. I really enjoy that aspect.

So, first thing I learned...the red dot should line up with the valve stem...


Add talc to the inside of the tire so the tube will easily slide and not bind or pinch. I don't know if they sell something specifically for this, but I figured good ol' baby powder would work just fine as the ingredients say "talc, fragrance". I tried to find a non-scented version...but no joy. Now my airplane smells like a babies bottom! ;) And let me say, it worked just as advertised...the tube easily slid into position when partially inflated.


And there ya go...I threw some air in them, torqued/finalized the bolts (90 in-lbs) and set them off to the side for another day. Although I'm not ready to put it on its gear yet, the time will be here sooner rather than later. That will be a fun day!

Oh, one last thing, I also need to pack the bearings later with Aeroshell 22 grease...they only come with light grease for shipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment