Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Tragic Accident HOBBS 976.0 hrs

A non RV-related topic, but I thought it was important...I seen this news report and of course, being a pilot, it piqued my interest to read more about it. All I can say is wow....how tragic. Prop accidents are quite rare, but they do happen.

I used to work for Continental Airlines at Stapleton Airport here in Denver (yeah...remember Stapleton Airport?) back in the early 90's. I worked the night shift for Continental Express on the ramp...all turbo-props back then. Because of this, it was pounded into our heads to be very cognizant of the spinning props for the obvious safety reasons. I learned it is very easy to not see the prop arc when its dark and you're not paying close attention (especially with your hearing protection in place and you're tired). So I am keenly aware of how darkness can make this kind of situation difficult.

Of course, if you are a pilot...you are probably thinking its all the pilot's fault in this instance--how could he be soooo stupid??! Well, although, as we all know, as PIC he is ultimately responsible for his passengers...lets think about how easily this could happen if we let our guard down and dont excercise good judgement. At least to someone like me....let me share a personal story with you.

When I was a brand new (yes, even more 'green' than I am now) pilot. I took a friend for a ride in the Diamond 20. I had picked him up at the Longmont airport (KLMO)...a short flight from my home airport (KBJC). After we landed back at Longmont after a long day of flying, it was getting dark and being in a hurry I asked him if he didn't mind exiting while the engine was still running so I didn't have to shut down and restart. I even carefully briefed him to step to the rear of the aircraft upon exiting thinking I was being careful.

Well, as I cracked the tip-up canopy open...it was clearly evident the prop wash, even at idle, was certainly too much to handle for this kind of exit. I was then forced to shut down the engine and he exited and I didn't really think twice about it. It wasn't until later, when I replayed the flight in my mind as I often do as a sort of mental debrief, that it dawned on me how truly stupid that idea was, and how oblivious I was to the fact. Let me explain.

If you've ever flown in a DA-20 you'll know that because of the moto-glider inspired long, slender wings, the cockpit sits pretty far forward of the wings compared to most planes. With this configuration, it offers great downward visibility for a low wing plane in flight...part of why I love flying it. But, a by-product of this configuration, you enter/exit the cockpit on a foot rest forward of the leading edge of the wing. For those of you not familiar with a DA-20...paint that mental image for a second...you exit the cockpit in between the prop and the leading edge of the wing!!! Are you kidding me??! What in the world was I thinking to even suggest that to my passenger? One slip of his foot and he would have fallen right into a spinning propeller and I would be that "stupid" pilot you are reading about. I could make plenty of excuses...it was a long day (4 hrs of flying), I was tired, I was in a hurry to get the flight finished, etc. None of that really matters...I used horribly bad judgement on that day and learned a valuable lesson..luckily without anyone getting hurt.

My message to you is, without preaching, just use good judgement when you are the PIC...it can happen, even to you. If in doubt, shut down the engine...especially at night with a 'non-pilot' passenger. Nobody should have to live with the guilt and regret that this pilot will have for the rest of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment