Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Sunday, December 11, 2011

Antenna Install HOBBS 995.5 hrs

Last week I made some good progress with several different tasks. Once again, as I mentioned in previous posts, having fun...


I noticed in my drawing set a print showing the mounting of the Odyssey battery box on the firewall...well, after checking the inventory I also noticed that this wasn't part of my fuselage kit. It is an "extra" kit that you have to order from Van's. So, in a knee jerk reaction, I ordered one. Later I realized that it is part of the FWF kit that Van's sells...I could've saved some shipping costs...oh well. Its a pretty easy install...cut some lightening holes in it and drill some holes in the firewall...easy peasy.


Back to my master cylinders...I had to install the NPT fittings in them. I actually had to do research on exactly what NPT fittings are and how they work....more education. I started thinking I could just use my fuel lube on the threads. After some research on VAF, I found out...don't use that, it will leak. Using teflon tape on fuel lines is a definite "no no", but some builders use it on the brake lines. If you do, just be very careful for the same reasons as for the fuel lines...it can get lodged in the line if not careful. A better process is using a thread sealant especially designed for the job. I used Permatex, bought it at the local auto part store. You can order a more expensive Loctite version but I couldn't find any locally...and I'm frankly getting a little tired of shipping costs.



I bought my antenna's from Delta Pop Aviation on a recommendation from my friend Sean Blair. Good product, good price and excellent customer service. Owner Don Pansier sent me a very informative email explaining where and how to mount the antenna's as he also has a -7.


I watched the "Hints for Homebuilders" video about installing antenna's, really cant say enough good things about these videos...such a great resource that we have at our disposal for free. Well done EAA! Really not much to this...you will notice my doublers are a little more substantial than they show but otherwise, nothing to it. I bought two Comm antenna's and one transponder...this pic shows the blade type transponder antenna.


I  chose to mount my Comm antenna's behind the main spar...Don recommended just in front or behind the spar. I read somewhere that you should have 36" between the transponder and Comm...but not sure if that is a hard fast rule? I did achieve the 36" spacing however....just in case. You can see that I also riveted my doubler in place for added strength, I used CS pop rivets just for ease of installation.


Here is shot of the two Comm antenna's mounted on the bottom side of the fuse. I removed them after fitting so that I can keep them protected...I will re-install and seal them later.


Speaking of sealing them...this is what I will use...a paintable silicone as recommended on the hints for homebuilders video. ProSeal will also work.


I mounted the transponder just behind the firewall in the center. It will be a nice short run of Coax straight up the firewall.


Access hole cut in the center panel.


While I was down there installing the transponder antenna I decided to also install my fuel tank vents I got from JD Air. I used the same silicone to seal these. The red index line gives me a reference for a square installation so I am parallel to the wind stream. I like these...they look nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment