Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Friday, December 2, 2011

Forward Fuse Work HOBBS 976.0 hrs

With this post, I am finally caught up. If you've been paying attention, the project HOBBS meter has been spiraling upward at a rather dizzying rate lately. I have logged 20.0 and 23.5 hrs the last two weeks, respectively. That's pretty good for me...as you know, I am attempting to average 15 hrs/week so this is outstanding progress and I'm thrilled. I am on a quest to get this baby flying!

I feel like the project feel is evolving, transforming into a seemingly never-ending task list of things to get done...much more systems, planning, research, routing and layout related. I have a funny feeling it will feel this way from here on out. Instead of following a very rote task list that was prevalent during the airframe construction, it now becomes lots and lots of little tasks to do that never seem to get finished entirely. Many times, you can't complete them since you have to wait for some other task to be completed later. Its rather frustrating to do all the prep work and fitting...get it ready for riveting, only for the plans to say...now set it off to the side and wait before final riveting later! d'oh!...that stings a little to read...lets get this puppy done dangit. :) I know..."patience grasshopper." In light of this, you probably noticed I am jumping around quite a bit now.

But, with all that being said. The last half of the fuse activity has been by far the most fun I have had so far on the project. I quite literally just get lost in the task at hand sometimes for hours. Outside my shop (garage), the world could be coming to an end and I wouldn't know or care. I enjoy those days...to escape into my own little world, devoid of the daily stress of life, finances, work and reality. Who needs yoga and meditation to relieve stress, quiet the mind and relax...just build an airplane! Therapy at its best....


So, back to the forward fuse. I put off some of the labor intensive projects ahead on this. Namely, cutting the many relief cuts in the angle alum to fit the contour of the instrument panel and sub-panel. I was kind of dreading this but it turned out to not be that bad and in the end, quite a lot of fun to do. I was pretty amazed at how well the angle's fit the contour once the relief cuts were added...pretty neat construction concept.





Here is the start of my static line routing and two ports on the side of the fuse. The plans say to use tie-wraps to secure the lines to the bulkhead...and that would work just fine, but I just like the more professional look of these adel clamps. I may take a couple of them out though as this is a little overkill to have that many.


And here is a shot of the entire tailfeathers mounted...the rudder being the last piece of the puzzle. It may look ugly with that wash primer and filler on it (I recently purchased some gray filler primer and I'll fix that shortly)...but to me, it was a thing of beauty to see it all installed for the first time on the fuse. Its looking more and more like an airplane every day!! KPR!

1 comment:

  1. All I can say man is WOW! Tail feathers on the plane looks AWESOME! Building from the inside out is not easy, but is the right thing to do. Having experienced such things as radio antenna interference, noise, and other phenomena in my days as a CAP pilot, the more time you spend positioning everything correctly, the better it will be in the end. CAP airplanes probably have more electro-magnetic gear in them than any other small GA airplanes that I know, and I can only imagine the challenge at this point of setting everything up correctly.

    Just think about it as though you are now bringing the empty shell to life. Kind of like Dr. Frankenstein, but in a nice way!

    I have scoured all of your posts for your Wing construction in preparation for my own, and I truly appreciate all of the info in your posts. So I for one say, thanks for staying caught up.

    BTW, if you still have that extra left tank support bracket that you fabricated for the leading edge rib for the standard left tank, I will gladly take that off your hands.

    Keep at it my friend, you are almost there.......

    ReplyDelete