Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Friday, December 23, 2011

ELT Strategy HOBBS 1025.0 hrs


In my effort to get the details of the rear fuselage tied up so I can start riveting on the top skins, one of the items I needed to cross off was the ELT. I knew I was going to need to ramp up on some wiring supplies in the near future. Stein has a wiring kit that I was considering purchasing as I knew it would satisfy pretty much everything I would need. Since I had already purchased some electrical tools and knew that because I plan to install a Vertical Power system I wouldn't need as much wiring. So I pared down the kit somewhat to tailor it to what I thought I would need. While I was at it, I figured I would browse through Stein's web store for other items. I ended up getting his Ameri-King ELT along with some LED cockpit lighting.

I saw the ELT for $200 and thought, wow, that's a really good price so I jumped on it. Well, after it showed up and I was halfway through the install it dawned on me that I had unwittingly bought an "older" style 121.5MHz ELT! Since 2009, satellites no longer monitor 121.5, only ground based systems. Dang, that was not my intention...I wanted the newer 406MHz. So I was faced with a dilemma...send it back for a refund or install it anyway, its still legal after all.

Sending things back is a pain because you get whacked with shipping costs AGAIN! At this point in the build, I am getting worn out by shipping costs. And I had already started the install which included filing a couple sharp edges on the mounting bracket and up sizing the mounting holes. I wouldn't feel comfortable sending it back to Stein with mods like that.

So, of course, I turned to VAF to do some research to see what others have done. I found quite a few instances where the strategy was to install the cheapest 121.5 MHz ELT to be legal and then supplement it with a PLB and/or a tracking device like SPoT or APRS device. Quite a few pilots share my philosophy that I don't trust these ELT's with my life...very few accident reports I read ever have them working as planned. They either don't activate in a crash or are not effective. Since I had planned on a PLB and a tracker anyway, this made sense to me.

I have installed the 121.5MHz (I'm sure my friend Bryan Raley, a SAR pilot for CAP, is going to chastise me for this decision!! haha). If I had it do over again I would buy the 406MHz, but since I have this in hand I'll install it...knowing full well, that I will probably have to swap it out later and lose my $200 and have an orange paper weight. Maybe the new ones will come down in price by then?...I couldn't find one less than $700!! Tell me, why in the world those are so much more expensive?? Are the electronics much different? Ever feel like you get gouged in this aviation world?? PITA!




No comments:

Post a Comment