Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Whats in a Name? HOBBS 620.0 hrs

To borrow a commonly used question...What's in a name? In this case...a lot. The names people give to their airplanes is fascinating to me. Some are very clever, which I enjoy, and some don't even bother, which puzzles me. You could probably guess where I reside on that scale?
This airplane is my passion, quite possibly my 'once in a lifetime' adventure that I am pouring my heart and soul into. To not name her would be unthinkable in my eyes. Like the great fighter pilots I read about as a kid, your bird has to have an interesting name. 

Anyone that knows me would also realize that I put a lot of thought into things of this nature. I have had this particular name chosen for quite some time. I was going to wait until she was an actual airplane (and not just a pile of aluminum) before making it public. But like a kid on Christmas eve, I couldn't wait. ;)

I would like to introduce Wablosa. I'm sure your first reaction when reading this is...huh?? What kind of word...name is that? Well, its the Lakota Sioux (famous Lakota include Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull and Black Elk) word for the red-winged blackbird native to most of North America. Its songs are described in Lakota as tōke, mat'ā nī ("oh! that I might die"), as nakun miyē ("...and me"), as miš eyā ("me too!"), and as cap'cehlī ("a beaver's running sore"). Loosely translated, Wablosa means 'wings of red'.

As you know by now, my color scheme is red/black and I have always enjoyed watching the red-winged blackbirds that frequent the marshes at the wildlife refuge near my house, swooping and diving on a warm summer afternoon. A bird...nature...my colors...a Lakota word...it was perfect, and definitely unique. Like a thoroughbred race horse with an eye-catching name, my plane, when she takes to the skies will also wear a colorful moniker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-winged_Blackbird
 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-winged_Blackbird


No comments:

Post a Comment