Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Monday, August 9, 2010

Leading Edge HOBBS 278.5 hrs

Cleco-ed the leading edge assemblies together. Looking good. There is a splice plate that needs to be assembled with the end rib to couple the leading edge assembly with the adjacent fuel tank. Pretty easy going, although I didnt like Van's instructions and did a very slight deviation. I ignored their 'hole centerline' idea and just used the calipers to measure how much the edge of the plate protrudes, which is the critical dimension...not the centerline, which has room for error.

And my gosh, I feel like I am screaming along on these wings, although I have a funny feeling that is a false sense of accomplishment as there is still lots to do! But regardless, I am already at the point to "Assemble the Fuel Tanks"!! I'm actually kind of excited to tackle this and get it behind me. Z-brackets next...using Checkoway's method, I've been reading.



On the end rib I mentioned above, you have to match drill the holes through the skin into the rib along with the splice plate. But, you also gotta flute this rib to straighten it out so you can get a good layout. Van's doesnt mention this, but just put the rib in place and mark the holes with a sharpie...now you know where to place your flutes. Flute it and then do your final drill...piece of cake. Here are a couple before and after shots of this rib to illustrate the point.





Red powder-coated tie down rings from Cleaveland Tools that I picked up in OSH, just happens to be a great match since I will have a red/black color scheme. There were $5.50 each, not bad, considering they were powder coated. Surprisingly tie down rings do not come standard with the wing kit. Here is a shot of the tie down ring installed after I drilled out the clearance hole with a unibit.


AAAAAW, the dreaded fuel tanks are coming...! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment