Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Transition Training Scheduled HOBBS 1719.0 hrs



I officially reserved a spot with Mr. Alex De Dominicis for my transition training. My training slot is April 20th-22nd near Dallas, TX. I wanted to do this training as close to first flight as possible so I'm not sure how this timing will work out? But...Alex is so popular that his available training slots were filling up fast. I would rather get it done early than have to postpone my first flight.

Some thoughts, if you read my blog regularly you know my thoughts on transition training. Its a requirement for me personally and should be for you too. Most insurance companies are now requiring it, but even if they don't...get some transition time with a good instructor. Van's has several listed on their website along with a recommended training syllabus. It can only help the cause...you remember what that is, keeping your arse and airplane in one piece.

Typically Alex's training program averages 4.5 to 5.0 hrs for most pilots (I think I need 5 for insurance?). He usually does flights on the weekends, with Monday as a weather day. So I will probably fly via the 'aluminum tube' on Saturday morning, get a hotel...do one introductory flight Saturday afternoon and then, weather permitting, finish up on Sunday.

Lastly, I chose Alex for several reasons....
  1. I don't know of anyone locally that provides RV transition training (and is insurance approved)...you need a special waiver from the FAA to do flight instruction in an E-AB aircraft.
  2. Alex has a sterling reputation for running a very good program.
  3. I would rather go to Dallas than the Pacific Northwest to do springtime flying...much more chance of getting flying weather in Dallas.
  4. Airline tickets from Denver to Dallas are pretty reasonable...and I've always liked the Dallas area so it will be a fun weekend getaway.
  5. Alex has an RV7....not a 7A (or RV6), I want and need TW time.
  6. Alex has on board air conditioners in all of his planes...might not need this in April, but a nice option when doing pattern work on a hot day. 
There ya go, leading up to my time with Alex I will be ramping up my flying activity/frequency...Citabria time and a few more aerobatic flights with Dagmar in the Pitts to do more spin training and refresh some of my unusual attitude stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment