Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Monday, February 4, 2013

Move Day!!! HOBBS 1719.0 hrs

Well, its over and done with...the move that is! Saturday morning, Feb. 2nd, 2013 my baby girl left home to go out into the world and spread her wings. I've been trying to come up with an analogy to give you an idea what it feels like to move your bird to the airport. The best I could do was its somewhat like having your daughter go off to college. Maybe not exactly the same, but as I said in a prior post, exciting and bittersweet all at the same time.
 
Mostly I am very excited for this new chapter, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't just a little sad to see this chapter ending. My airplane is no longer right outside my door just feet away from where I live...that's surreal to say the least. It was also a time for reflection about how far I have come since starting on the horizontal stabilizer over 3 1/2 yrs ago....to drink it all in. I still, even after all this time, I sometimes wonder to myself, "am I really doing this?...am I really building an airplane?" Its cool.
 

My Dad arrived in Denver Friday about noon. I picked him up from the airport and sure enough, he was raring to go. I wanted to play it by ear to see how much we were going to do Friday afternoon, considering he just flew in...I thought he might be tired and want to relax a little. But no dice, I think he was just as excited as I was to dig right in and get started. Consequently, we threw some stuff in the back of my pickup and headed out to the airport. I also was anxious to show him my new hangar since he hadn't seen it yet.
 
When we arrived, unbeknownest to me, Stephanie (from the Renegades) and her partner Carl had their "new to them" RV7 parked exactly in my spot in the hangar. Bob had let them use the hangar for some maintenance issues they were having with the flaps. They assured me, they would be vacated by the time we arrived on Saturday with Wablosa. I wasn't worried...


It was great to see a finished RV7 parked exactly where my plane will be...and it was a nice looking RV7 to boot. What great motivation to get mine flying.


Moving day arrives...the plan was to meet at my house at 9am. Gary Zilik was the first to arrive at 8am. I had been up since 5am getting things organized. Like a five year old, I felt like it was Christmas morning and couldnt sleep! First things first, we loaded up my pickup again with the air compressor, toolboxes, etc.

 
I pulled my loaded pickup out of the driveway and then we wheeled Wablosa into the daylight for only the second time in her young life. Always cool to see...now we awaited Bill Shook to arrive with the trailer.
 


Brian Beatty and Sean Thomas discuss securing the wings in the wing cradle.


Gary Zilik helps out with the wings...


Scott and his grandson Dakota look on...I think 'Kota was still waking up...but that didn't last long as he was buzzing around "helping" out with moving activities in no time.


Bill Shook and the enclosed trailer arrive...sweet, game on! Lets move this puppy!


The gear legs fit the trailer width, no problem, but we couldn't get past the wheel wells on the trailer. Gary mentioned that we could lift one side over the wheel well and get it in that way. I said sure, lets give it a shot...Gary and I both were straining to lift that one side...she was a little heavy but we managed and she fit real nice.



 
You can see, there wasn't a lot of room to spare. At this point I thought we would just get the wings on a second trip as I didn't think we had room for both the fuse and the wings??
 


 
After some discussion with the moving team, we figured we could swing the tail to one side and get the wings in as well. After some convincing I agreed...lets give it a try! You gotta love airplane builders...we are a resourceful group, always a 'can do' attitude. I can't say enough about how grateful I was for the moving crew I had helping me.


 
We decided to move the wings in the cradle...

 
Brian and Bill position the wings for loading...

 
Sean helps out...

 
In they go...slowly, carefully...easy does it

 
And sure enough, although it was tight...they did, in fact, fit....way cool!

 
Bob Markert had sent me a text saying that he and Jim Gray were flying that morning. Doing a formation checkout flight in a five ship group. He asked if we could keep the taxiway clear for their return at approximately 10:45am. I said, "sure, no problem." So we arrived at the airport at about 10:30am...I told the crew, lets expedite this unload, we have inbound 'bogies'. We were able to do just that...within minutes we had everything unloaded and Bill pulled the trailer out of the way just in time to watch the guys taxi on by. How cool is this?...my new home away from home??! pinch me.



 
Wablosa gets settled into her new home...and a fine home it will be! What a day! I was, as you might expect, pretty nervous about getting everything moved without damage. Even though I had insurance in place to cover everything...it was still a big deal to come out of this unscathed.
 
Mission accomplished...the move went flawlessly...all because of the crew I had. They really went out of their way to treat my bird with the same care and attention they would their own. I was quite impressed how everyone had great ideas, things I didn't even consider, to keep everything undamaged during transit. I owe them all a great debt! Thanks guys!
 
My moving crew was: Ron Duren Sr, Gary Zilik, Scott and Dakota Mills, Sean Thomas, Brian Beatty and Bill Shook.

 
After the move, I took everyone that could make it to breakfast to say thanks...the absolute least I could do. Its a restaurant right there on the field. Here you can see, 'Kota takes a call from his Mom while Brian studies the sectional on the table top and my Pop listens to Scott and Gary.
 
 
Mr. Zilik and Scott Mills converse...

 
Dad and I finally arrived back at the house after dark. Wow, what a day...and emotionally exhausting for me...I was tired, but oh so happy....a 'good' tired. I was thrilled it was over and went better than I could have ever imagined. It was quite honestly, a "perfect" day. There really was not one element of it that could've went better in my mind.

 
So, if you know me, as I always say...don't forget to celebrate the moments along the way. First flight is only one of many milestones to cherish during your build. I started this tradition way back when I finished the first sub-assembly, the horizontal stabilizer. Having an adult beverage and smoking a cigar! I bought a couple Nicaraguan cigars and a bottle of Scotch for Pop and I. It was time to take a deep breath and celebrate our good fortune! I never take for granted the life I get to live...nor should you.



 
We went out to the near empty garage/aircraft factory, lit up our cigars and had some Scotch. We talked about the day, reflected on life in general and discussed a lot of things...aviation and non-aviation alike. The topics we covered were private, between Dad and I...and it was a moment I will always cherish...thanks Dad. 
 
What an amazing day! Thanks to all who were part of it...good people, one and all. Now, lets get this baby flying!!

3 comments:

  1. Excellent write-up, Ron. Thanks for sharing this milestone with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Ron!So first flight is, ahhh, say about 2 weeks from now, right?! Sorry I could not assist - I was busy with my own project.

    ReplyDelete