Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Monday, August 8, 2011

Popeye Forearms HOBBS 771.0 hrs


It was a productive weekend in the shop...logged 11 hrs. I dismantled the fuse to get it ready for prep, deburr, primer. After getting everything taken apart, I had to tackle the task of machine countersinking all the holes in the longerons. Holy moly, that was a lot of holes...someone on another blog said he thought there was about 200 holes per longeron...not sure? but let me tell you there is a lot of them! By the time I was done, I felt like I had popeye forearms! :) Once that task was complete, along with general edge debur and scuffing of parts I was ready to paint. I primed a big batch of parts, including the longerons.

I then set about fabricating a couple of fuselage stands. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on this. As I've become a more seasoned builder, my philosophy has changed. I used to put a lot of time, money and effort into these stands. Now, I just do the minimum necessary to get the job done. The airplane is the focus, not the elaborate stands. Spend the time on the airplane.

Finally, I started to reassemble the fuse for the final time. Soon, it will be riveted in place...I'm excited to tackle that step.



Filing edges...at this point in the project, you should have your edge deburr process down to a science. I've spent many hours doing this.


My very basic fuse stand...throw on a little foam for protection...I also added a couple gussets for strength later. This was leftover lumber from my wing stands.



No comments:

Post a Comment