Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Oshkosh 2011 Review HOBBS 750.0 hrs

I've been back from Oshkosh for a few days now. Had a blast! Learned a lot...looked at a ton of RV's...talked with vendors, met some new friends. Already looking forward to next year. I didn't get everything accomplished that I wanted but it was not for lack of trying.

I sat in on about 7 or 8 seminars this year...topics ranging from, "How to Wire Your Airplane", "Electronic Circuit Breakers", "Electronic Ignition", "Fuel Injection Systems", "How to Re-assemble a Lycoming Engine", "Flying in the South African Bush", "Cross Country Flight Planning" and "Composites for RV's". It really is amazing the amount of knowledge you can pick up while you are at Oshkosh. All free with the price of admission. This was the first time I attended so many seminars, I enjoyed the learning part of it, but it really gobbled up my time for other things...each seminar is an hour and 15 mins long so it doesn't leave much time for other stuff.

While I was at Oshkosh this year it dawned on me that there are probably a lot of my readers that have never had the privilege of attending AirVenture. So I thought I would give you a little tour...and let me emphasize "little"...AirVenture cannot be fully experienced or seen in several days of non-stop walking. The showgrounds are huge...I estimate I walk 5-7 miles a day while I'm there. It is on a grand scale. In fact, this year...6 days and I still didn't get everything done that I wanted. And I know the layout and exactly where I'm going. So, if you go, plan on the fact you probably wont see it all the first time....or second...or third. ;)

A synopsis of Oshkosh...approximately 600,000 people attend each year from all over the world. It is the largest general aviation gathering in the world. 10,000 planes fly in for the show and most people camp right next to their planes. Oshkosh becomes the busiest airport in the world during AirVenture with all of those arrivals. I camp right on the showgrounds with about 30,000 other campers in Camp Scholler. It is the best way to experience Oshkosh in my humble opinion because you are right in the thick of it. They have large, private shower buildings available for all campers. The infrastructure at AirVenture is amazing, nothing is temporary, all buildings are actual buildings that are there year around. 


The famous Brown Arch...popular place to get your pic taken. The tiles in this area can be bought and inscribed. Its cool to walk around and read them. Here are a few that I liked.




And here is Rosie and Victoria's tile...

http://www.vansairforce.net/ Photo by Mark Burns
Here is an aerial view of the "homebuilt camping" (HBC) area at Oshkosh. Helicopter tours are offered at a reasonable cost during the entire show, thats where this photo was taken from.







The Vintage Grill...they have pretty good food here, much better than most of the food at Oshkosh. I had a steak and some wine here a couple years ago and it was pretty good. They serve beer and wine after 5:00 and have live music. Its a good place to watch the end of the airshow and have a cold one after a long day. It gets pretty packed though.



I see this guy's plane every year and it makes me laugh each time...click on the photo and read what it says.


The very busy control tower...these guys do a great job!


The Fly-in theatre lineup of movies. This is an outdoor theatre that plays mostly aviation-related movies every night...it will hold close to 10,000 people I think? Just bring a chair or blanket and you're all set. Free popcorn too.


Opening day concert...this year was REO Speedwagon...pretty cool, loved them as a young man but this was the first time I had seen them in concert. They can still make good music.





A shot of one of the shower buildings...


Watching the airshow from the new Fratello's tent...alcohol served after 5:00pm...this is standard at Oshkosh. There are no beer stands on site and the few restaurants that serve alcohol can only do so after 5...





My engine of choice...the Aerosport Power IO-375, isn't she 'purdy'?...my color too.


A simply amazing Mustang in the Ford tent...the paint job on this baby was immaculate. They were going to auction this off for charity I think? Only one of its kind.



One of the camp stores on site...a general store with all kinds of supplies. You usually don't even have to leave the showgrounds to get what you need. They also have fresh coffee and donuts every morning.


Camp Scholler...this is what it looks like for as far as the eye can see in all directions.


The campsites in the trees are hard to get...everything is first come, first serve and these go fast. You can also see in this pic, what the rain does to the site...things get muddy in a hurry.


The SOS Brothers beer tent right on the edge of the AirVenture grounds. This is the only place you can get a little rowdy after the sun goes down. They have a huge fire pit, bikini-clad bartenders and live music every night until midnight. I spent all of my nights here. :) There is a large yellow, illuminate balloon above the tent...so its real easy to find.



The first day I arrived, the day before AirVenture officially opened, I ended up at the SOS tent...and met several great guys throughout the day. People from all over the world, all talking about aviation. It was good stuff. I also met my drinking buddy for the week...Peter, the Aussie from Arkansas! We had a great time and I hope to visit his airpark home one day when my plane is done.


Here is the 2011 contingent of bartenders. I ended up meeting them all during my stay. Great gals that put up with a lot of drunk pilots all week with a smile.


Beer bong's for $7...I didn't do any, but it was a popular attraction and it was entertaining to watch


Peter and I with my favorite bartender, Brianna...


They publish a free daily newspaper during the entire show. Its a great way to read the news from the previous day and see whats upcoming on the schedule. Its really well put together and delivered bright and early each morning. Just another amazing thing they do as part of AirVenture. So there ya go, an idea of what its like to attend AirVenture...hope to see ya there next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment