Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Thursday, December 16, 2010

Tank Success! HOBBS 390.0 hrs

I finally got around to doing my left fuel tank pressure test. And low and behold, we have SUCCESS! That was a good feeling for sure. But it didnt come without some sweating.

I had purchased the tank pressure test kit from Van's so I was using that to conduct my test. It is cheap and a pretty simple setup, it includes a plug for the fuel pickup fitting and a bicycle style valve that screws into the fuel drain sump. I then inserted a glove into the cap to help seal it better, taped over it with duct tape and then attached a 'balloon' to the vent line. I didnt actually have a balloon handy so I just cut off a finger from a rubber glove and used electrical tape to attach it. It worked just fine...well, sort of.

For some reason I thought I was supposed to pressurize the tank and leave it overnight to see if the balloon stayed inflated. So I pressurize the tank...no problem, set the tank off to the side and start doing something else. I checked back about ten minutes later and the balloon was already deflating. Are you kidding me right now?!! Let me just tell you, a feeling of dread came over me at the sight of that! Ugh!

Well, so not to throw my arms in the air and panic, I decide to work the problem. I went back and read the directions that Van's supplied with the kit in their entirety. Sure enough, it says to pressurize the tank and then use soapy water to check for leaks. No need to leave it overnight. So, extra soapy water it was...and sure enough it was leaking pretty darn good around my electrical tape holding the balloon in place so that concept didnt work too well. But, I checked the rest of the tank and besides the fuel cap...it was all good! woohoo!

So, I think I have a good seal on my tank. I personally wont be 100% positive though until I fill it with fuel and use it for awhile, that will be the real test. But for now I will accept this victory and move on to the next one.


A glove inserted into the fuel cap...


After inserting the glove, I added duct tape. I think this worked ok until the soapy water hit it, then the tape started to peel away. No worries though, the cap is not of consequence for the pressure test and can be ignored.


Fill it up with an ordinary bicycle pump. Do not use your air hose, that is way too much pressure for this. The amount of pressure should be 1.0 psi or less according to Van's...doesnt take much.


Here is my simulated balloon...the finger of a glove. This acts as a sort of safety pressure valve so you dont add too much pressure in the tank and rupture or damage it...that would suck. Worked just fine...the electrical tape holding it in place, not so much! :)


And...although I havent seen other builders do this, I'm sure its been done before, I taped off the tank and threw a coat of primer on the baffle and end ribs. It will obviously add some corrosion protection but it also made it look much more professional...hide all that ProSeal goop.


And of course, dont forget to celebrate the small victories along the way. One of my favorite quotes is by the former tennis champion Martina Navratilova, "The moment of victory is much too short to live only for that and nothing else." Here is a self portrait while I enjoy a Cuban cigar I smuggled back from my Costa Rica trip...dang, that is one ugly dude!! haha! KPR...

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Ron! That's a big deal getting a leak free tank. BTW...did you tighten the nut on the fuel cap? That stopped my leak when I tried it on the 10.

    You won't be alone in priming the tank. Why not? The rest of the plane is primed.

    Sounds like Costa Rica was a good time. I also smuggled a Cuban when I was in Mexico. Good smoke. Later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ron. Nice job on the tank. Funny that you mention the primer, since I am also at that point again on the VS and rudder on the 8. Just in time for the weather to turn cold - UGHH!

    KPR
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete