Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Monday, February 7, 2011

Productive HOBBS 476.0 hrs

Although I didnt accomplish my goal of finishing up the ER tank this weekend, I took a pretty big bite out of it. I just need to rivet/ProSeal the baffle in place and do some fuel line plumbing. It was a very "productive" and exciting weekend in the shop.

I think we, as builders, should start a new collection of sayings...like the comedian Jeff Foxworthy did several years back, when he came out with the slogan..."you might be a redneck if...". Our version might be, "you might be building an airplane if..." you measure your weekends with words like "productive!" haha!

If it was a productive weekend, then I am a happy camper. This was one of those weekends. Its also always exciting to see large pieces of the airplane finished. When that happens I usually have a beer and just sit back and admire my work when I'm done. ;) Enjoy the journey as I always say. The leading edge/ER tank is almost there...very fulfilling to see it in this stage, more so than the standard tank for obvious reasons. Here are some pics from the progress I made...


Parts ready for priming...the tank parts dont get primer (you dont want a chunk of paint breaking off and plugging fuel lines), these are both sets of leading edge parts that will get painted. On a side note, I am pretty much out of my two part Akzo Nobel primer...so it lasted through the wings. Time to buy some more.


This was a pretty big milestone in this sub-assembly...all ribs riveted/ProSealed into place...I think I cracked open a cold beer after this. Really went pretty smooth...I have my ProSeal techniques down to a science now. I will say, once you finally can do some nose ribs without having to ProSeal them (the painted ones) it sure is a treat! :)


Here is a shot of the standard tank and ER tank installed on the wing for test fitting and match drilling the Z-brackets for the ER tank. Now, tell me that doesnt look cool! Of course, the two fuel caps are the coolest. I had one of the caps upside down though.



The underside showing my access holes...another cool shot...its starting to come together. The plumbing and fuel pump will reside in here. I started fabricating a mounting bracket for the fuel pump...more on this later.



This is a shot of the seam between the two tanks. Came out pretty darn good, almost perfect but not quite. However, its just a slight mismatch with the leading edges, not a big deal, overall I was happy with it. Its such a small deviation you cant even see it in this picture. Checkoway's Z-bracket match-drilling method worked well.

No comments:

Post a Comment