Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Wednesday, June 10, 2009

RV8 Builder Visit HOBBS: 53.5 hrs

Before I started building my airplane, I heard many stories of the legendary flying characteristics of the RV series. Because these stories were so widespread, you just kinda had to believe it to be true. In fact, I decided on Van's aircraft before I had ever flown one. But, when I finally was able to get my hands on the stick of an RV8A, words and descriptions couldnt do it justice...it was pure heaven, a delight to fly! I certainly had the RV grin.

Well, the same thing goes for the stories I heard of the great people associated with experimental aircraft and more specifically the RV builder community. I am still pretty new to this wonderful world of RV's, but I have already experienced great warmth and friendship from everyone I have encountered along the way. The stories, once again, really dont do it justice.

Last night was another example. Samira and I, along with another brand new RV8 builder (Bryan Raley), were invited over to visit Mr. Bob Markert's RV8 project. Bob and his wonderful building partner and wife Mary treated us like old friends, even serving us strawberry shortcake! As Bob was quick to point out, we already 'know' each other because we are 'RV' people. That pretty much sums it up, and is the general feel I get from everyone involved in this great passion for aviation and homebuilding. From local RV8 pilot John Loretz, whom I had never met, offering me a free ride (and refusing to take payment for avgas!) a couple months ago and now continuing with Bob and his wife graciously opening their home to us as old friends. I was really taken aback by all of Bob's offers to use his tools and jigs once he was finished with them. It is so refreshing to see this small group of people that still show the qualities that make America great. I feel very fortunate to live in a country where I have the freedom to be part of this great 'hobby'. I also thank Bob, who is an ex F-15 driver, for giving us that right and protecting this great country with his service.

Now for the details of Bob's project. Bob is working on his wings right now, and is just about to start sealing his fuel tanks. He is doing a few modifications at this stage, including a flop tube for inverted fuel (combined with the Christen inverted oil system) and extended range fuel tanks that will add 9 gallons to his fuel carrying capacity. These ER tanks are manufactured by a company called 'Hotel Whiskey'. These are all options I am considering for my project so I had a keen interest in talking with him about the details of each mod. Since this was the first time I had seen a project in progress other than pictures, it was very fascinating. For starters, Bob has a real nice shop setup in a three car garage. I was also a little taken aback by how big the wings look in the garage, and in comparison to the empennage. When you fly in an RV, the 'hershey bar' wings looks short and stubby...but seem much bigger when they are in a garage and not attached to the fuselage. I was also stuck by the magnitude of the work I have ahead of me, I now know the empennage is peanuts compared to the wings. There looks to be a lot more things to contend with on the wing construction, even a little intimidating. I did envy Bob's position though, although I am enjoying the building process, I cant say I wouldnt mind being at his stage in the project. Soon enough, for now, its the Vertical Stabilizer...followed by the rudder...elevators...trim tab....and on and on. Before I know it, like a child growing up too fast, it'll be over as quick as it began. I shall savor the moments.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment