Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Rudder Skin Stiffeners HOBBS: 65.0 hrs

With the VS done, its on to the Rudder construction. And more specifically the rudder skin stiffeners. These are a little tricky since they have to be cut to size from larger pieces. Each one is a different length and have a different orientation for each side. There is also a specific angle to be cut. Since I had done this in my two day SportAir workshop, that helped me in this task quite considerably. And really turned out to be a non-event but I could see how it could be confusing.
I started by cutting these with my aviation snips. I really didnt like the way it looked 'nibbled'...maybe I am not very skilled with my snips?? So after the first one, I did the rest with my dremel tool with a cutoff wheel. Have I mentioned yet how much I like my dremel tool?? A must have for the shop! You cant see it very good in this picture, but one was done with the snips and the other with the dremel.

A shot of the stiffeners cleco-ed into place on one side of the rudder skin, just before match drilling all holes.

After match drilling, disassemble...debur all holes and edges, dimple and then scotchbrite in preperation for priming. I did these skin stiffeners a little ahead of plan so I could primer them along with the VS parts. Worked well, more parts done per cleanup.

No comments:

Post a Comment