Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Tuesday, June 2, 2009

N531RD Reserved! HOBBS: 42.0 hrs

I just reserved my N-number with the FAA. My flying creation will be known by the FAA as, "5-3-1 Romeo Delta" or "1 Romeo Delta" for short. The number was derived from my favorite number 5, 31 in honor of my Dad's birthday which is the 31st of December and of course 'RD' are both my Dad's and my initials. I originally wanted "3-1-5 Romeo Delta", but it is sadly already registered to a Mooney in Austin, TX. As the song goes, "you dont always get what you want!" :)

Construction update: Started riveting the last couple days. It is nice to start doing a permanent assembly after assembling and disassembling so many times with cleco's. The riveting started out a little shaky as the learning process continues, but I am getting better at it with practice. I will admit I have had to drill out a few botched rivets already. As of right now, I have riveted the front and rear spar's and am ready to start riveting skins now. Pics and more details to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment