Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Monday, March 10, 2014

First Engine Start! HOBBS 2779.0 hrs

 
After a few unsuccessful attempts on sunday, we finally got the ol' engine to come to life on Monday, March 3rd. It goes without saying that this was pretty darned cool. The engine/prop combo were smooth...it really sounded awesome from the cockpit. I did a 2:20 second engine run, CHT's were low at around 200 deg F, so there shouldn't be anything to worry about as far as break in goes. My philosophy is ground runs are fine if you keep CHT's low.
 
 
Dad wheeling her out of the hangar...
 
 
As for the unsuccessful engine starts, here is some information for you to help you avoid my pitfalls. First, it was a loose fuel line going to the spider. I thought I had checked that, but somehow missed it...why, because I was in a hurry. Slow down...check hoses.
 
Second, have a start checklist handy...one particular start attempt for example, I had the fuel selector in the "off" position. Again, being in a hurry.
 
Third, when I pulled my panel apart to paint it, I reassembled the Pmag switches wrong and I didn't realize we weren't getting any spark. If you have to pull your panel apart, check one more time, after reassembly, that you are getting spark.
 
Lastly, and this is the big one. Beware, many flywheels have two TC1 marks on them...and although they are marked the same, they are completely different. When I timed my Pmags, I used the TC1 indication on the front of the flywheel. I lined this up with the center of the engine case. That is not correct! There is a TC1 on the backside of the flywheel...and that one will line up with your engine center...not the front one. The front one will be at about your 5 o'clock position and is meant to line up with a hole in the starter case. Its used for convenience to the installer. So, if you time it like I did...expect to get some violent backfires! It will be evident you have a timing problem. Once we got that figured out, it started right up, as you can see in the video. 

No comments:

Post a Comment