Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Thursday, March 21, 2013

Navy Tiger Cruise!! HOBBS 1827.0 hrs

 
I just found out yesterday that I am getting the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to go on a Navy Tiger Cruise aboard the USS JOHN C. STENNIS (CVN 74). Its an active duty nuclear powered aircraft carrier. We will be sailing out of Honolulu, docking in San Diego five days later.
 
If you are unaware, like I was, a Tiger Cruise is essentially a sort of appreciation cruise for family/friends of active duty personnel. No, I don't have any kids in the Navy...that I know of...this opportunity presented itself through some of my RV friends. I really was extremely fortunate to even be in the conversation to be honest, it was happenstance.
 
During the cruise, we will be treated to an airshow at sea, which will be worth the price of admission alone! Watching flight ops will be unbelievable.
 
There are five of us in our group and I am the only one without a flying RV. The plan is to fly their RV's from Denver to San Diego, overnight in SAN and then hop a one way commercial flight into Honolulu a couple days before departing on the Stennis. After returning to San Diego aboard the Stennis, we will then fly the RV's back to Denver. What a trip eh??
 
How this affects the Factory...? Well, I had to reschedule my transition training with Alex (he was great about doing this for me) to May 4th. Of course, this will delay everything on the project by about ten days as I will be on vacation about that long. But...its a no-brainer to take advantage of this, the plane can wait, it'll be here when I get back.


 

Doubtful we will see anything like this, but what a cool shot eh?

 
A parting shot of the Stennis in Honolulu...sailing past the Arizona monument in a moment of silence will be surreal. I can't wait, this should be amazing! A helluva birthday present for me that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment