Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Console Evolution HOBBS 1682.0 hrs

Almost from the start of my construction on this airplane, I knew I wanted to add a custom center console. There were several reasons I chose to do this that I wont go into here, but mostly it was a desire to make the cockpit my own...to put my personal touch on the airplane.

Let me add, I am pretty amazed at how small the cockpit is for the -7...if you go this route, really take this into consideration if you are a bigger guy. I am 5'9", 185 lbs...not big...and its cozy for me. I have no regrets because I actually like the feeling of 'wearing the airplane', but I just want to make sure you consider it before committing to this kind of design for your plane.

With this in mind, I always had my eye out for other designs that I liked at Oshkosh and on VAF...if not in totality, then at least aspects I wanted to borrow for my own. Here are some examples that I have seen...

 
This is the nicest RV version I have seen, done superbly by Aussie John Clements. If you read my blog, you've seen it posted on my site previously...you'll see a lot of this design influence in my version.
 
 
 


 
Not really a center console on Chris Sands' plane, but I did like the cup holders and leather wrap...a nice touch.
 
 
And of course, the Diamond-20...I used to fly this plane quite a bit, so I know I like the center console idea. This plane is a very similar sized cockpit to the -7, so it was good to know it can work.
 
Here are some pics from my construction progress...going well, but I have to admit I am kind of winging it. I don't have nicely drawn out plans and ideas...its all in my head, we'll see how it turns out? Worst case...I redo it, not a big deal. Enjoying the shit out of this project though...this is fun!

 
Time to start mounting the DJM throttle quadrant. This quadrant is the perfect size for the RV's...very compact, which you need. You'll notice I have no mixture lever on the quadrant...that is by design. I wanted the fine tuning capability of a vernier for the mixture. It also serves the dual purpose of making the throttle quadrant slightly smaller.
 
 
The cool thing is once I get the overall concept and measurements, I can remove the seat pan and put it on the bench for fabrication. Much easier than trying to do this in the cockpit.
 
 
Fit check with the seat in place and a rudimentary arm rest...its feeling good, very comfy when I sit in it. I'm pretty stoked so far.
 
 
Now its time to start the forward section...which will include the fuel selector, fuel lines, boost pump and inline fuel filter. Using cardboard once again (you have to do this on a project like this) for mockups, I am getting a feel for where I want my fuel selector.
 
It is by design, offset toward the front, which is different than every console I have seen out there. It is influenced, once again, by my Mitsubishi Eclipse (more on this later)...and just gives you a feel of being less cramped. I also put my throttle quadrant a little further forward than most have, to more comfortably fit where my hand will rest...this kind of forces me to move the selector forward as well. But...this was all pictured in my mind from the start so it was anticipated.


I bought the better grade of alum tubing (5052 I believe?) from ACS for the cockpit fuel lines. This is just a better grade of alum than what Van's sells. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Van's stuff, but this is noticeably better when you do your flares. It just makes me feel better for fuel lines in the cockpit. And...the cool thing is, it comes in straight lengths, which is real nice.

 
Starting to mount my Andair fuel boost pump and filter. Most installs have the filter attached directly to the pump, but I am trying this configuration instead for space constraint reasons. But I could change it later if I decide to.

 
A rough flat pattern for the fuel selector mount.

 
Formed...I didn't do a very good job with this...the width of the two flanges is off slightly, I will redo this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment