Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Wednesday, November 9, 2011

AWOL..... HOBBS 923.0 hrs

Its been awhile, sorry about that. I was out of town on a week long business trip to Wichita, KS and I've been working hard on my final project for my Project Management class. The good news, is I'm almost done with my school project (Nov. 14th) and holidays are coming...which means, you guessed it...more time to work on the plane.

Since my last post, I have received quite a few goodies as I start procuring the detailed equipment for my plane.



Bonaco brake line upgrade in "electric" red...sweet looking huh?! And beyond the looks, nicely fabricated, good quality stuff, this upgrade was an easy one for me. Well worth the $235 I paid. Good people to deal with too...customer service was excellent.



Received my 5 point Crow harnesses with the rotary 'Kam' buckle. I ordered these without pads and am in the planning stages of having custom ones made to match my interior. More on this later. I was quite impressed with the quality of these and the action of the Kam buckle...now, keep in mind, I haven't seen a pair of Hookers up close but there is no way they are twice as nice as these...and that's what Hookers cost. My two sets from Crow were $290...Hookers are about $750 for a set I believe? I mentioned the brake line upgrade as being money well spent...these also were money well spent. (Get your mind out of the gutter..not actual 'hookers' but Hooker brand harnesses! :)) I usually complain about not getting my money's worth with aircraft parts but I absolutely feel like these are worth every penny I paid for them. Also had good service from Fred Crow himself, always appreciate that.






Grove wheels, brakes, master cylinders and reservoir....arrived well packaged as you can see.


Reservoir...definitely an upgrade over the stock version...needed? Probably not...


Brake caliper..nice looking piece of hardware.


Master cylinder...these are also impressive looking, and adjustable which is a nice feature.



Wheels...these puppies are the deluxe, dual piston versions, this setup will give me extra braking power on the order of 205,000 ft-lbs of Kinetic Energy. I wanted this extra 'oomph' for the added takeoff fuel weight of my ER tanks. In the event of an aborted takeoff, I will have added stopping power...the trick will be keeping the tail down when I'm standing on the brakes! ;) And again, give a shout out to the friendly folks over at Grove...customer service was top notch.

www.groveaircraft.com

2 comments:

  1. Hehe. So I suppose you are going to insert that leather chair in your airplane as well, huh? Seriously though, would like to know more about the latch/unlatch process for those harnesses. Do all straps come off with a small turn of the dial, or does each latch independently disengage depending on how far you turn it?

    Bryan R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryan, they do all come out at the same time with a small turn. One question some have is can you remove the shoulder straps independently of the other ones? I think you could if you carefully held the others in place? Need to play around with this however to be sure.

    ReplyDelete