Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Left Skin Complete HOBBS 810.5 hrs

I spent the weekend in the mountains, or the bulk of it so I didn't get much time with the 'mistress.' I also got to see a few RV's over the weekend....more on that later. But, I did however finish up the left side in short order on Monday...about 4 hrs start to finish including the ProSeal...compared to about 6 hrs for the right side. After getting that done, I completely cleaned and organized the shop and hosed it out...it needed it and I wanted to free up some room as things are getting cozy in my small two car garage. I feel like this is sort of a transitionary period in the project. The metal work is coming to a close...all that's left is the top fuselage skins. I am a long ways from being done mind you, but airframe metal work is winding down.


I spent some time tying up some loose ends...riveted these bulkhead gussets and the remainder of the rivets in the aft side skins up to the longerons...leaving the top row empty for the top skin overlap coming later.



And an obligatory shot of the left side skin essentially complete...looking good!


Firewall gusset...always like how a nice row of rivets look...


I had to put a pop rivet in this location...click to enlarge. I'm not sure if I missed a note in the plans that would allow me to put a solid rivet here but there was no way I could get a bucking bar in there as it is. You may want to read up on this area if you hope to avoid this on your plane. I will do a cosmetic fill job later and hopefully you wont even know its a pop rivet...build on!

No comments:

Post a Comment