Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Electric Flap Assembly HOBBS 848.0 hrs

I spent some time this weekend working on the electric flap motor actuator assembly. This resides in between and behind the two seats. Its been a fun sub-assembly to put together.



I bought this digital level a few months ago...and it sure is handy to have in the shop, wish I would've bought it sooner.


Squaring up the mounting angle bracket for the vertical support piece so I can match drill it to the tunnel cover.


There was a very slight bow in the horizontal support that is behind the seats, I wanted to get this straight before match drilling it. A minor detail, but important to me.


Here you can see the welded steel flap actuator in place. The electric motor will attach to this in the center and then each side will have a 5/16" diameter flap push rod linkage that moves the flaps up and down.


A pic of the electric motor as I match drill the mounting brackets that I fabricated. This is the piece that will sit in between the seats. The motor assembly seems like a nice piece of hardware.


Here's a shot of the side covers cleco-ed in place and match drilled. If you look closely, you will see they dont look straight...apparently thats the way they are designed to fit? Not sure why?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ron,
    I made two mods at this point. The first was to drill through the end of the flap motor pushrod/clevis bolt shaft to lock the bolt at the end so it can't twist in either direction (Van's safety bulletin only prevents movement in one direction; I did that as well)
    The second was to add angle aluminum to the inside of the vertical brace to stiffen it so if someone rests their butt on the horizontal brace it won't cave.
    I'll try to add photos the next time I update my blog
    Your RV7 is looking really good!
    Steve M

    ReplyDelete