Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Aileron Trailing Edge HOBBS 359.5 hrs

Got a quick work session in last night. Tweaked my aileron trailing edge into shape and then started installing the capacitance plates and vent line into the right tank. The aileron trailing edge is kind of important so that you have it nice and crisp and not rounded. Otherwise you may have a 'heavy wing' when you fly. I got this tip from Paul Dye on the VAF site. I was happy with the results, kudos to Paul. My only recommendation is take it slow and easy and sneak up on it, if you bend it too far you cant bend it back. Aluminum, unlike steel (which can handle a tighter bend radius), is not as forgiving of minimum bend radius before it starts to crack, so keep this in mind. Too tight is not good. When you are done, you should be able to lay a straight edge over the surface and see...you guessed it, a nice straight edge. I didnt include a 'before' shot...but it was not straight before tweaking so mission accomplished.




On a seperate note, I went to the Van's website last night to order my nut plates. I thought, while I am at it, I will restock some of my misc hardware and buy some extra AN833 fittings for my ER tanks at the same time. Shoot, when all was said and done I had a $118 hardware order!!! Yikes, building airplanes is not cheap! I suppose most readers already know that, but it never ceases to amaze me how it adds up.

No comments:

Post a Comment