Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Thursday, June 10, 2010

Wings are 'a Coming! HOBBS 192.0 hrs

Originally I had a May 17th ship week for my wing kit. That would've been about right considering my finances. But, I recieved a nice letter from Van's stating that the wing kit delivery had been delayed almost two months!! As you can see, my new delivery date was now July 12th!! Ugh! Rumor has it, it was a supplier shortage issue that was causing the delay but I never heard that officially. So, I settled in for a two month wait that I hadnt anticipated. But right around the end of May I recieved a call from Barbara at Van's saying...your wings are ready to ship, we just need you to send in the balance due. I was pretty excited to hear that, but also caught off guard. My money was tied up in company stock which I needed to sell. Of course the stock market was down when I got the call from Van's...so I ended up sitting on it for almost two weeks waiting for a favorable selling price before pulling the trigger. I finally got it done last week, but it took several days to work its way through the system and be deposited into my account. Long story short, I just got off the phone this morning with Van's and my wings are now bought and paid for!!! wooohoo! Should be crating them next week with delivery by FedEx freight coming either the end of next week (6/18) or first part of the following week (6/21).

I ordered several misc items to add to the shipment. I added one 15'2" extra longeron 1/8"x3/4"x3/4" angle, one flop tube, deluxe fuel caps and a 50' roll of 3/4" conduit for wiring. The extra longeron piece was a suggestion from the VAF site that I liked. There are a few fuselage parts sent with the wing kit. Because of their length, they easily fit in the wing spar crate and are too long for the fuselage crates. The 15'2" longeron piece being one of them. The strategy being, order an extra just in case you screw one up because it would be difficult to ship after the fact. Then if you dont use it, you can cut it up for misc brackets that are almost always needed during construction. Angle aluminum is always handy to have around.

So the last couple weeks I have been finishing my garage. Painted the other side of the floor and fiinished painting and texturing the walls. Then I built a rolling wing stand. I will post pics in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment