Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Nice Progress HOBBS: 33.5 hrs

Just a quick post since its been awhile. Life has been very hectic lately. I built my practice toolbox kit, took me about three hours. It was well worth the $25 to practice some riveting and dimpling before starting on actual airplane parts. I had a couple small mistakes riveting that I learned from, so that will be money well spent if it keeps me from making the same mistakes on the plane.

I made some good progress over Memorial day weekend, logging about 15 hrs on the plane over the course of three days. I now have everything for the horizontal spar match drilled, deburred and dimpled. Next step, is alodining and priming for the first time, which should happen tonight. Followed by setting some rivets finally! I expect it wont be long now until I have a finished airplane part, very exciting! I will post some pics in my next entry.

Quick observations...as I get used to my new tools. The pneumatic squeezer is ABSOLUTELY worth every penny spent, love the ease and consistency of this tool. The DRDT-2 is nice, but I wasnt as impressed with it, a simple C-frame would suffice for less money. Dont get me wrong, its a nice tool, well built and good quality. Its just that for the small amount of use it will get, do I really NEED it? Maybe when I do the wing skins I will change my mind? So far I have been happy with all of my tools from Isham. Although, I did have to order a back rivet plate from Spruce since Isham didnt include this in their kit. I also really like the scotch brite wheel for my bench grinder, works great for cleaning up sharp edges. The tungsten bucking bar also rocks, glad I got that as well.

All in all, things are going very well. I am really enjoying the whole process so far. I find that going out to the shop to work on the plane is like a sanctuary for me, very theraputic and relaxing. Check back with me in a year though! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment