Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Thursday, May 28, 2009

First attempt at Primer! Ugh! HOBBS: 35.5 hrs

Well, I finally got to the primer step last night. Lets just say, I learned a lot! :) My primer strategy (and there are MANY of them) is this. I am using two part epoxy AKZO primer on all ribs and spars, but not the inside of the ALCLAD skins. If the ALCLAD is not scratched it will provide all the protection I need from corrosion, IMHO.

So, essentially it is a four step process for me. First, I wash the parts with Dawn detergent to remove all dust, debris and grease. Second, I use Alumiprep 33 to acid etch the part and prepare them for Alodine. Third, I apply Alodine 1201. And lastly, I spray my primer. Well, the first three steps really went off without a hitch, a little time consuming, but pretty simple really. I used a small dunk bath for the Alodine and only left them soak for about a minute or two, a little on the short side but it seemed to work fine. Spraying the primer was a different story, mostly because I wasnt properly prepared...ie, didnt have a good system of hanging parts to dry. I only did a few parts before it got dark and I realized I needed to do a better job of preperation, I will finish this up this weekend and let you know how it went...and hopefully what I learned so that it goes a little smoother. Lots of lessons to be learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment