Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Friday, January 31, 2014

Gear Leg Fairings HOBBS 2570.0 hrs

I tackled the gear leg fairings about a week ago. Although I don't need to have these done for first flight (I'll fly "dirty" for the added drag until the engine gets broke in), I wanted to get them mostly done for my initial weight and balance calculations.
 
I assumed this wouldn't be a big deal to install, I mean, they are just cosmetic fiberglass fairings...right? Well, turns out this was a naïve assumption...if you get these crooked, they will have a bigger impact on a straight flying airplane than crooked wheel pants. That surprised me...and made me not take this lightly.

 
The instructions are a little hard to follow...but reading through them a couple times, I finally got the gist of what the goal is. Once I did, I just did this on my own...basically not referencing the instructions again. First step is to make sure your fairing is straight and not twisted.
 
 
Use your cleco clamps (you have some of these right?) to hold 'er straight. Cut out the 1:1 template from the drawings set. Wrap this around your gear leg...again, getting it nice and straight. Hold it up to the light to make sure both sides (edges) of the template are aligned. Now use a sharpie to mark your cut line.
 
 
Once you get it cut to size according to the template (a little big actually), slap 'er on the gear leg. You may have to trim the length to get it fitting properly. Install your intersection fairings if you have them (mine are from RVBits and they rock...good purchase, love the finish and fit of these). These will essentially help to hold your fairings in place while you do your fitting.


 
Now, hang a plumb bob of the fuse centerline. Stretch a double string from the leading edge to the tail. The goal is to get the trailing edge in the center between the two strings.

 
Hang a plumb bob off the HS...draw a line at fuse center, measure from there to the plumb bob string. Adjust to make it the same dimension as the trailing edge of the gear leg fairing. Note that the plane is in a level flight attitude for this task. I just eyeballed that the string line was also level. You are trying to set up a straight datum plane, which will simulate the airstream. It sounds more confusing than it really is.
 
Notice that I did not jack up the airplane to get it off the gear. Same strategy that I had for the wheel pants. Unless the gear toes in or out when its lifted, the wheels and gear legs are straight. So I disagree with the plans on this step. Again, your call whether you agree with me or not.

 
I am bonding my intersection fairings to the wheel pants. Some guys just screw these in place. I always intended to do it this way for the clean look. When Sheryl and I were at LOE this year, I showed her versions of both and asked her which one she liked better. She chose the blended look...I knew there was a reason I liked her. :) Notice the split line I will cut into the intersection so the wheel pant can be split.

 
Lastly, drill your holes for attaching the intersection fairing to the fuse. These holes will get nutplates later. I didn't get any pictures, but the trailing edges get a piano hinge to keep it closed up nicely.

 
I am continuing to work on these as I have time...but since they aren't required for first flight, they are not on my current priority list. These are gonna look nice when they are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment