Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Monday, May 9, 2011

Seatback Bulkhead HOBBS 658.0 hrs

I spent some time away from the project this weekend. I think I have worked on it for about ten weekends straight now and was feeling a little burnout. So I met up with the guys for some flying instead and it was well worth it...I'll post on that later. But, I did get a few hours in on the seatback bulkhead...here are some pics.




For this bulkhead assembly you have to trim the seatbelt attach brackets to make room for the ribs that attach later. Here you can see I have cleco-ed on a rib to see exactly how much I need to trim.



And here is the trimmed bracket, compared to an untrimmed version


My setup for getting the correct spacing between the two brackets so I could match drill them. I was a little taken aback by the fact that these brackets are not very stout for a seatbelt attach point. They are steel but I expected them to be a little beefier?


This is a spacer that you fabricate and then match drill...I just marked a center line for reference


These are a somewhat funky setup of shims/spacers/angle alum that you fabricate to attach to the structural piece that sits right behind the seats. I couldnt really figure out what the purpose of these were for in the plans? So when I went out to fly with the guys, I looked at their completed planes. Turns out these brackets are to be used if you want to adjust the incline of the seats...not sure why you would want to do that? Gary and Scott never have used that feature and said they wouldnt install them. Perfect, I'm omitting them from my build...just wish I would've known sooner so I didnt have to fabricate all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment