Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Friday, August 7, 2009

Pause for Oshkosh!! HOBBS: 95.0 hrs

I havent done much work on the project in the last couple weeks. Part of the reason was the planning and buildup for the annual pilgrimage to Oshkosh, WI for AirVenture 2009. This was my third trip to Oshkosh and Samira's first, and once again, it didnt disappoint. Its really hard to describe the magic of attending Oshkosh, all I have to say is if you like aviation you have to do it at least once. It is like 'Disneyland' for aviation enthusiasts. The largest and greatest celebration of General Aviation in the world. Approximately 650,000 people attend every year along with 10,000 planes flying in from all over the world. 30,000 people camp right on the showgrounds at Camp Scholler, and we were among them.

Highlights included getting to see the brand new Airbus 380 and 'White Knight Two', the launch aircraft for 'Spaceship One' which is the civilian space vehicle. We also attended the comedian/ventriloquist Jeff Dunham show the last night we were there at theatre in the woods, he was quite good and the place was jam packed. Estimates put the crowd at 10,000+. The weather was cooler than previous trips I have made with daytime temps only in the mid to upper 70's and getting downright chilly at night. I actually enjoyed the cooler temps most of the time but I do wish I would have brought a sweatshirt or light jacket for the evenings. Our first full day was a day of almost non-stop rain...we had rain gear and did our best not to let it slow us down but by the end of the day, I was worn out by it. Thankfully the next day was gorgeous so all was forgotten. Other than that one day, the weather was pretty good. They had a little better food this year, we ate at a new place called the 'Vintage Cafe' a couple of times. I actually had a pretty darn good steak dinner there one night. And low and behold, finally some alcohol was served. After 6:00 they also served beer and wine. We shared a botttle of wine one night, which was also pretty tasty.

It was a nice pause to attend Oshkosh, definitely stoked the fire to return home and pound those rivets!! I cant wait until the day I can fly my plane there, wow, that'll be quite amazing. Each time I saw one of the RV's take off and depart the area, I told Samira, a little piece of my heart goes with each one as I wish it was me up there. Being on the ground at Oshkosh is torture for someone who longs for the sky!

It didnt get any better than sitting outside in great weather, watching warbirds fly overhead, eating a good steak, drinking a bottle of wine and having a beautiful woman to share it all with. Pinch me!!! :) I am truly living the dream!

Samira did great and we shared a lot of laughs over the course of 5 days, bless her heart she never complained once...when time after time (in the rain no doubt!) I said lets go look at this airplane or lets go browse through this aviation hardware tent. Hats off to her for being such a trooper!! :) I will have to do something nice for her for putting up with my aviation obsession.

Ultralights flying directly over our camp every morning and evening, cool stuff!

Our 'home' for five days...

If I were ever lucky enough to have two airplanes, this would be my second steed! CubCrafters Super Sport Cub. Hey, a guy can dream cant he?

Statues near the museum.

A Salem, OR based RV, my birthplace...very pretty plane!

The Van's tent...

My first trip to the seaplane base, very pretty area.

My first choice for an engine, the 210hp IO-390. Sure is purdy!

An award winning RV7 on floats, very nicely done...and it was for sale!

Posing for a pic at the new entrance...

The famous 'brown arch'...

Self portrait in camp, having a bottle of wine

Two beauties....aaaaw

Our last nightcap at SOS Bros 'BeerVenture'...we stumbled across this tent bar right near the museum on the outskirts of the showgrounds. Live bands every night, big fire and alcohol which is not sold on site except after 6:00 at one location.

No comments:

Post a Comment