Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Friday, July 3, 2009

Rudder Trailing Edge HOBBS: 80.0 hrs

I just tackled the first 'tricky' task in my project. The Rudder trailing edge. The trailing edge used to be a continuous formed piece of sheet metal. Now, the design has two seperate skins with an AEX aluminum wedge sandwiched between them as I mentioned in my previous post. Van's recommends using 'proseal' to glue the pieces together before riveting. Proseal is a two part epoxy that is also used to seal the wing tanks. I had heard it was sticky, nasty stuff...and I have to sort of agree. It is definitely that, but it wasnt as bad as expected. Of course, I just did a small job. I used one of the 30 min tubes that Van's sells, along with the application gun also sold by Van's. Worked well, except I only used about half the tube of proseal...so there was some waste involved. But, I think the tube was about $17...so not a big monetary loss. Well, it is now glued and will sit for a couple days to set up and cure before I rivet. The good news is, it is straight as an arrow! I see no noticable deviation from a straight line. If nothing changes while riveting, I will be a happy camper!!

As shown before, this is my setup...I've been happy with this strategy...everything came out nice and straight.

I used a couple cleco clamps on the ends to hold everything in place. I also added a little proseal to the rib-to-skin interface near the trailing edge just for a little added holding power. In addition, I gooped a little around the end of the AEX wedge.

Another view of the other end...the bottom of the rudder, same principle here. You can see a little bit of the dark gray proseal in this picture. So now, I wait...stay tuned to see how the finished product turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment