Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Monday, April 27, 2009

Construction begins...slowly! HOBBS: 12.5 hrs

It's been exciting to finally get started on the construction of the project. Unfortunately, I haven't ordered my aviation tool kit yet for financial reasons so I have been doing odds and ends with the tools I have. So far, it hasn't stopped me from progressing.

Enjoying a celebratory cigar to signal the beginning of the construction!!

Its funny, as a first time builder, you do your best to set up your shop. Low and behold once construction actually starts, its funny how things change! I have been tweaking the shop slightly, buying a few more hand tools (electric engraver, vice), etc. I expect that once the dust settles, the momentum of the project will accellerate quickly. So far, it has been a little bit of running in motion.

This is not entirely an 'assembly' project. Here is an example of some simple fabrication, these two pieces of angle aluminum used to splice together parts of the horizontal stab will be trimmed to the red lines shown. I actually enjoy this type of work.


Here is what they looked like after the deed.

Bought these parts bins from Harbor Freight to hold my rivets. These will work out great to be able to easily carry rivets to my work area.


Assembling the rear horizontal spars...

Starting to 'resemble' the horizontal stab??


Ordered my 'chemicals' from Spruce. AKZO two part primer, Alodine and Alumiprep. Also ordered extra cleco's and cleco pliers while I was at it since I knew I would need more.

No comments:

Post a Comment