Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Meadow Lake Trip HOBBS 877.5 hrs

Boulder Flatirons

"Paint if you will, a picture..." (I know, I know...cheesy 80's "Prince" reference...sorry).

I wake up Saturday morning bright and early like usual these days. Grind and brew up some fresh coffee and bounce on out to the shop to start in on the "aluminum mistress." I spend four fun, productive hours working on the plane (more in my next post on what I accomplished). Around 11:00am...I shut down the factory for the day and head upstairs for a quick shower. Alas, the fun had just begun for I had other things on the agenda for this Saturday afternoon.

I drive out to Boulder Municipal airport (KBDU) for a date with the Citabria and ultimately a rendezvous with fellow RV7 builder Sean Blair. I had decided to fly 72 nautical miles down to Meadow Lake (KFLY) airport near Colorado Springs to visit Sean's project and see his new airplane parts he received from Van's. Yep, he just took delivery of his finish kit so I was keen to see that up close and personal since I am just about ready to order my own.

I knew it was going to be a very scenic flight since the fall colors are bursting right now. I was not disappointed. What I didn't expect was the fact that Sean and I spent so much time talking RV's that my return flight was many hours later as I launched just before sunset headed back home. So, not only did I get the great fall colors on the way down but the unexpected bonus was an amazing sunset flight back.

After I found my way to KFLY...first time flying there. To be polite, I enter on the 45 for a left downwind for runway 15 instead of a straight in approach...I see the windsock on short final, slight right crosswind. Of course, there is Sean standing next to his truck at one of the taxiways next to the runway snapping pics. And sure enough, I bounce my 3 pointer right in front of him!! :) Nice huh? He says he didn't see the bounce...I think he was being kind?

We head over to a nearby restaurant/bar and grab some lunch and proceed to talk non-stop about RV's and our projects. From there, we make the trek to Sean's house. I gotta say, upon arrival I was impressed, very nice house, a first class build and shop setup. You can certainly tell Sean does quality work...his neatness and attention to detail put me to shame!









Here are some pics from the trip out....


My 3 point arrival...


Here is Sean's tinted canopy...special ordered from Van's. I really like this and plan to do the same on my canopy. I really don't understand why more builders don't go this route? Its gonna look slick and should be cooler! And its such a subtle tint, I'm not at all worried about night flight visibility.


Sean's immaculately clean shop and nice looking wings!! I just wanted to go home and clean my shop after seeing his. ;)


My trusty steed waiting patiently for me to take her home...it was so cool to finally go somewhere in the plane instead of staying in the pattern doing touch and goes. An airplane is made for travel darnit!


Taxiing out for departure into the setting sun...after roughly 6 hrs of talking aviation and RV's...loved every minute of it. Thanks Sean!





Sorry, but there is nothing quite like seeing the sun set over the Rockies...from altitude!! I gotta tell ya...days like this make me feel so fortunate to be a pilot...I was thinking it was pretty much a perfect day as my wheels chirped under me upon touching down back at Boulder. As I tied her down for the night and slowly walked to my car, I couldnt help but smile reflecting on the day behind me.

1 comment:

  1. Ron,

    Wow. Nice pictures! Seeing your write up makes me really want to get back up in the air. I have focused my time (and money) on the build and haven't flown in a long time. I really need to get back up.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete