Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Friday, October 7, 2011

Last Decisions HOBBS 862.0 hrs

This week and next I will be making a concerted effort to make the last decisions about what I am putting into my airplane. The reason being, is it's now time to order my last sub-kit...the finishing kit, wow, that seems strange to say. To do that, I need to nail down which engine I plan to go with...and which style, horizontal or vertical induction (more on this later), propeller choice, canopy and cowl. Along with anything that I plan to upgrade from the Van's stock parts so I can have it deleted.

Sean Blair just got his finish kit from Van's so I'm going to rent the Citabria next weekend and fly down to Meadow Lake (Colorado Springs) to check it out. He got a special tinted canopy that I also plan to go with, so I want to see what that baby looks like up close and personal before making my final decision. I've been meaning to visit Sean's project for awhile now, so I'll get that accomplished as well.

Since everything in life revolves around scarce resources...more specifically limited monetary resources, to accomplish this I had to start making a list and adding real prices to everything. Up til this point, I have been bouncing ballpark figures around in my head but haven't officially wrote anything down. So, I started an Equipment spreadsheet to track everything going into the plane...still working on it, but its a pretty big list. It has been an interesting exercise, and one I probably should've done sooner. Because, of course, I am over-budget...fairly significantly! d'oh! :) I am working on bringing this back into shape though, I'll get there. What I have on my list right now is my dream airplane...might have to leave some things out to get it where I need it to be. Its all a process, you have to start somewhere. More on this later...have a good weekend, KPR!

No comments:

Post a Comment