Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Registration Card Arrives HOBBS 1899.5 hrs

I have good news and some gotcha's for you on getting the paperwork done. Good news is, I just received my registration card yesterday so we are a green light for my DAR visit once I am done. I started this process on 3/13/13...and got it all actually mailed on 3/25/13. All told, from start to finish, just about 60 days. But, here is the caveat...it would've been even sooner if I had filled out my paperwork properly the first time.
 
Let me explain, because these are easy mistakes to make....
 
 
This is how I signed my 8050-1 the first time...notice the date. This is exactly how the example is shown on the FAA and EAA guides on how to do this...hmm, thats odd? Whats missing is the fine print that says to ALSO print your name along with the signature. Of course, there is no extra space for this either which adds to the confusion.

 
This is what it looks like when done correctly...notice the date again. The FAA sent everything back to me to fill it out properly so I had to restart the clock.

 
Ah but we are not done yet! Again, it comes back to me with an apology that they didn't catch this the first time. This notice was included with the returned paperwork, which would've helped me avoid all of this so take note. I had blacked out some lettering in my first attempt....which is a 'no-no' if you read this. Make sure you don't cross out or otherwise alter the document...it must be 'clean'. So, again the clock restarted as I mailed this back in for a second time.

 
And alas, here is the golden ticket, all obstacles are now clear. If you avoid the mistakes I made, it could take about 45 days for the whole process and only 30 days with the FAA. I was being told 60-90 days with the FAA alone, so this wasn't too bad. Just plan ahead so you aren't waiting on it. Luckily for me, I wasn't held up so its all good. Lets get this thing finished!

1 comment:

  1. just a comment on blocking your address, if you don't want that to be known, you also need to block out your n-number.

    ReplyDelete