Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Flying With Alex HOBBS 1899.5 hrs

 
I just finished up my transition training with Alex De Dominicis at his airpark home just south of Dallas, TX. This wrapped up one of the most memorable two week stretches of my life. The Tiger Cruise, followed immediately by my transition training. Both of which were amazing experiences all by themselves, let alone doing them back to back.
 
I want to walk you through what its like to do this training with Alex in his RV7. As anyone who reads my blog on a regular basis knows, I am definitely on the 'safety and training' band wagon. I also realize some might be put off by a 180 hr pilot preaching about 'how' you should fly, but I'm ok with that. I know from email correspondence that my blog posts have influenced some people to do training they may not have otherwise done and that makes it worth it to me.
 
First, lets talk briefly about Alex. I spent a little over 5 hrs (I needed 5 for insurance) flying with Alex over two days and three flights. In that short time I actually felt like Alex and I formed a little bit of a connection. I think he's a good man and a good pilot and I enjoyed flying with him. As he likes to say, he is now woven into the fabric of my 'RV life' and I am grateful for that, I felt like I left Eagle's Nest with a new friend.
 

Alex lives on an airpark that had me drooling, its called Eagle's Nest and its located just south of Dallas near Cedar Hills. Texas does airparks right. There is nothing like this in the Denver metro area which is a shame, and if there was it would probably be twice the cost of what Alex paid for his home and hangar. My first dream is to build my own airplane...soon to be crossed off the list, and then I will focus on dream #2, living with my airplane.
 
 
The 2200' runway at Eagle's Nest. It certainly doesn't look like much from the air.

 
Walking the roughly 100 ft from the house to the hangar, you'll find a nicely built RV7 and an RV10. Alex does training in both. He recently gave up his RV7A for an RV14 replacement that is being built, and should be coming online by the end of the year.



Alex is adamant about flying 'his' airplane, not a factory plane. As you can see, this includes a very nice panel and CAD upholstery, which sadly you rarely see in a Van's factory plane (although the RV14 factory plane is an improvement in this regard). I was appreciative of this fact. Not only am I learning a new plane, but I am also learning to fly 'glass'. Most of my flying time is behind steam gauges since most rentals are way behind the curve incorporating new avionics. So, learning new 'scan patterns' and getting comfortable with the glass is always a good thing. You know, the whole "two birds with one stone" idea.

 
Again, its so cool to just push your plane out of the hangar and be ready to taxi onto the runway. Airpark living is the bomb! It also is really convenient for Alex's training...no driving to the airport, no tower to deal with, nothing to keep us from getting in the air quickly for some flying.


 
Alex and a handful of guys at the airpark chipped in money to buy a fuel storage tank. They buy their avgas in bulk ($4.70/gallon...which is pretty good!) and share the expenses as part owners. A real nice setup.
 
So, now you have an idea what its like at Eagle's Nest and the training environment. Now, lets talk about the training itself.
 
I am going to purposely leave out some of the details of exactly what we did. The reason being is, that each pilot is different and what you cover in your training may not be the same as what I did. I don't want anyone saying to Alex, "how come we didn't do the same stuff that Ron did?" Which leads me into how we got started. First thing you do is sit down and talk about your flying experience...hours, training, planes flown, what you want to get out of the training, etc. From there, Alex and you will develop a training strategy that fits your goals.
 
I'll tell you that all three of my flights were quite windy, we were seeing anywhere from 30-50 mph winds at pattern altitudes! Bad enough, that we considered not flying. Fortunately, the crosswind components were manageable so we slogged through it. I mention this not as an excuse for bad aviating, but just that it added an element of challenge that didn't help the cause one little bit.
 
First flight (Saturday afternoon) was mostly just a RV familiarization flight and, believe it or not, my first in an actual RV7. We did some slow flight, stalls and some very basic airwork (turns, climbs, descents, etc) to get a feel for the airplane. We ended the lesson doing just a few touch and goes to whet my appetite. Alex teaches a different landing approach with the RV7 with a constant speed prop than what I was used to, so that took a while to wrap my head around. It is pretty similar to how Dagmar lands the Pitts...a steep approach using the prop as a sort of 'drag chute' to manage overspeeding.
 
Second flight (Sunday morning) was basically all pattern work. I got a good workout on this one. Every pilot knows how intense pattern work can be in a new airplane, it is 'drinking through a firehose' to be sure. We covered a lot of topics while doing the circuit. I had very mixed results with my landings, a couple were very good...some were ok, and some were pretty atrocious! I remember as I climbed out after one particularly bad bounce landing, Alex says to me in a calm voice over the intercom, "I'm not going to lie to you, that was shit. It was safe, but I want to see you do better."
 
I was in complete agreement. At the time, I was so focused on everything that was going on and generally frustrated with my performance that it didn't strike me as funny. After reflection, I was working on my plane yesterday and I just busted up laughing thinking about that statement!! That was a new one for me...of the 6 or 7 CFI's I have received instruction from, no one ever said something like that...so matter of fact and to the point. As Alex says, "I'm hard on you because I care so don't take it personal." I certainly didn't. He was also quick to tell you "nice job" when you earned it. He was tough but fair, exactly what you want from your CFI...and quite honestly, his assessment was right on...it was "shit!" haha
 
After our second flight, as much as I was frustrated with my flying, Alex said he thought I was proficient and safe and would sign me off and feel ok at that point with me safely doing my first flight. I suppose I could've saved some money and took him up on that offer and been done with it. I obviously didn't as I won't take shortcuts with training, I definitely wanted to do the third flight regardless of his assessment that I was safe.  
 
The third flight (Sunday afternoon) was more of the same. Pattern work and some engine out scenario's. I thought for sure, this flight was going to be my best...again it was hit and miss as we got some interesting crosswinds on this flight, I didn't have it mastered that's for sure. The positive was that the last landing was by far my best, really perfectly executed all the way around. At least I know how it is supposed to go, the proper approach and sight picture...it will just take some practice to do it more consistently.
 
My takeaways from my experience:
  1. Flying the RV is vastly different than my previous experience in Skyhawks, Diamonds and the Citabria. Best thing you can do is get most of what you learned from those planes out of your head. It was much more like flying the Pitts...although I only have 5 hrs dual and one landing and just a couple of takeoffs in the Pitts, most of it has been aerobatics.
  2. Everything is going to happen much faster in the RV. Your climb rate, your approach speed, all of it contributes to you being "behind" the airplane. You need to think ahead much more in this plane than you are used to.
  3. The constant speed prop is soooo cool! I am so happy I decided to go this route on my plane. Being able to use that prop as a sort of 'speed brake' is HUGE when landing these planes.
  4. Because of the short wings, the ground effect is closer to the ground than you are used to. I kept flaring too high...don't be afraid to let it settle down closer to the runway before flaring.
  5. Control inputs are sensitive (scratch that) responsive, that is no surprise if you've read anything about RV's. I had no problem in cruise, but when I got into my flare, I was all over the place until I calmed down on the stick movements. Three inches of stick movement in the Citabria is vastly different than three inches of stick movement in the RV. Using very small 'pulse' type movements of the stick to feel when the plane has dissipated enough energy and is ready to land really helped me smooth out my roundout/flare without overcorrecting.
  6. Getting on the backside of the power curve in an RV is much more pronounced. I could see this getting pilots in trouble...the bottom would drop out in a hurry from what I could tell. Energy management (think low and slow vs. high and fast) is huge in these planes and Alex preaches this fact a lot in his training.
  7. I liked Alex's steep approach strategy...it feels much more smooth and natural than trying to drag the plane in with power, low on energy. It also minimizes your exposure to losing an engine on final. Alex called it our "safe zone." When I got "slotted" into the proper approach angle and airspeed, the plane really kind of landed itself. Now, of course, that isn't easy when you are used to coming in at the standard 3% glideslope we are all taught in the Skyhawk. Adjusting my sight picture was a challenge...I was reluctant to get the nose down and seemingly "dive" for the runway like Alex wanted.
In reflection, I have had time to think about my 5 hrs with Alex. It was intense, I'm not going to lie.
 
Here is what a typical circuit was like...from my perspective to give you a feel for it. During a touch and go, the takeoff was always a nice surprise...be ready with right rudder and the acceleration was pretty thrilling. I kept overcorrecting with left rudder and swerved left and right. Climbing out was fast, this plane climbs like a beast. Quickly dial back the throttle or you'll blow past pattern altitude before you know it, prop reset to 2400 rpm. There is a hawk at 500' right off the end of the runway diving for field mice. I jink to the right to dodge him as I prematurely start my right turn to crosswind...watch the airspeed. Another power correction as we are already at pattern altitude and the airspeed is starting to run away from me. Check the windsock and cross check with what the EFIS is telling me. I have a crosswind coming from my right pushing me away from the runway...so a crab into the wind is warranted. All the while this is happening, Alex is giving instruction.
 
We very briefly discuss what I did wrong on the last landing, but I have little time to process this as we are now already abeam the numbers and I need to set up for the next one. At 100+ mph, we get around the pattern quickly. Oh, by the way, there is a Skyhawk in the pattern ahead of us and I need to create spacing with him so I delay my turn to base as I keep an eye on him. Now I am out of rhythm but can't worry about it. My brain is working hard as there is a lot going on...keep the nose down, you are climbing...watch the airspeed, don't get too fast for flap deployment...check the airspeed...under 100mph? add the first notch of flaps...where is that damn Skyhawk? I lost sight of him, there he is...don't get too close to him, he is much slower than us so plan accordingly...hold that crab angle, you're drifting away from the runway. Oh, and by the way, Alex is still giving me instructions.
 
Ok, deep breath, relax, now turning base...another notch of flaps...more throttle adjustments to manage airspeed as the nose goes down and I pick up my aim point...I'm not on centerline, adjust with some bank...watch the airspeed. Diving for the runway now...watch the airspeed...add some more flaps...aim point looking good. Watch the crosswind, you're drifting...get the airplane straight with some rudder input...roundout, getting some wind shear from the hangars, flaring too high...ease off the stick, dang, overcorrected and we ballooned...easy does it...bring her gently back down...easy...still too high, airplane is getting slow..I am 'feeling' for the runway and getting that feeling of dread where you are in no man's land...a small bird comes out of the corner of my eye and I swear impacts the airplane as I hear a small thud...ignore that for now...I am out of energy and still flying and Alex lets me know it...approaching a stall now...we hang in the air, the airplane is confused as to whether to fly or land...bam, we bounce...crap! Get it under control and on the runway...stick full back to keep the tail on the ground. No time to feel sorry for myself now, time to firewall it and takeoff again...right rudder, right rudder...stay on centerline!! 
 
Wow, I'm exhausted again just writing it! I was wiped out Sunday night after two flights. There is nothing else I do in my life that is as intense as learning to fly...tell me what you ever do in an hours time quite as action packed as that?? Definitely much of the allure of flying for me is not only that intensity, but also when it finally all slows down and you are master of your aircraft...that is an amazing feeling when it all clicks.

 
Parting shot...logbook signed off and a big smile on my face as another great aviation accomplishment is in the book.

In summary, as frustrating as it was at times, I had a blast and would recommend Alex for your transition training. Don't skip this before your first flight, its important! An RV is a different beast. Several of my friends asked me when I said I was going to Dallas to fly with Alex, "you couldn't find anyone local?" No, there is no one in Colorado that is set up  to do this kind of instruction like Alex does. Alex has about 4400 hrs of RV time, all but 1200 of which is dual...let's just say he know's how to teach RV flying, what to emphasize, what to watch out for, what gets pilots in trouble with the RV, that is a big deal. Flying with 'Joe Blow' RV pilot most likely will not be the same, even if he/she is a great stick/rudder guy or gal...knowing 'how' to teach is crucial, Alex has 3200 hrs of practice in this arena. The added cost of hotel room, rental car and a plane ticket to Dallas was well worth it to me.

Enjoy the journey my friends! We are fortunate to live this life.

4 comments:

  1. Nice write up Ron. Really appreciate you documenting the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Bryan, glad to hear you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, Ron. I spent this past weekend training with Alex so I can finally fly the RV-8 I bought back in May. My experience was very similar to yours and Alex is a great instructor. It was a pretty intense weekend of flying... I flew from Denver to Dallas in my Mooney on Saturday morning, trained with Alex Saturday afternoon and early Sunday morning, then back to Denver by early Sunday afternoon. I was glad we had some crosswinds and bumps during our training flights because those conditions are common here in Denver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe! Glad to hear you got something out of it, and congrats on the RV8...I think you're gonna love it.

      Delete