Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Thursday, March 17, 2011

Inspection Covers HOBBS 529.0 hrs

Yesterday while I was working Dad installed all of the nutplates for the inspection covers on the bottom skins and did a fine job. He also finished up dimpling all of the skins so we're ready for riveting. And as I was afraid of, he is now waiting on a new task. Ideally I wanted to wait for my Ducworks leading edge lights to arrive so we could install those before riveting the ER tank to the spar.

But...I still havent heard from Van's yet on a confirmed delivery date for my fuse (and LE lights). So, I made an executive decision as 'RV7Factory CEO'....last night Dad and I discussed it and decided to forge ahead and we'll install the LE lights later. No time to wait...."burning daylight!"

So, first order of business is to do a pressure test on the left wing ER tank to ensure we have a valid pressure vessel. After that passes (and I know it will!), he is going to tackle riveting the ER tank in place today. Its mostly a rivet "squeezer" operation so it will be an easy one person job.

Although I will have to admit...it hurts a little...deep down inside. It would be like missing out on your first born taking his/her first steps while you were working. Up 'til now, nobody has built anything on my airplane but me, and certainly nothing as significant as riveting my first major structure to the wing!! ;)

But alas, if it's not me...who better than my Dad! Like I told him last night, the #1 priority is to get this baby flying sooner rather than later and  I welcome his help. Of course it makes it much easier considering I completely trust his workmanship, which is of higher quality than mine. So, my baby is in good hands.

On a seperate note, yesterday I ordered a new batch of Akzo Nobel Primer (finally ran out) and some fuelube from Aircraft Spruce. I also ordered a double offset back riveter (many thanks to Sean Blair for offering for me to use his...I have a sickness, I just like to buy tools! I will take him up on his offer to use his longeron dies however) and a longeron yoke (also offered up by Bryan Raley, thanks) from ATS. All needed supplies/tools to finish up the wings and start on the fuse.

1 comment:

  1. The yoke is available any time dude! I was also thinking about getting a 12 inch back rivet tool -I was not even aware that they made one that was a double offset. Cool tool.

    ReplyDelete