Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Monday, March 28, 2011

Unloading the Fuselage Crate HOBBS 553.0 hrs

I have lots of news and information to catch up on from the last week. Very busy, very exciting week in the factory! Before I do, I wanted to do a quick informational post about unloading the fuse crate. A reader left a comment asking this and I figured it would be good information for everyone to have. So here ya go...

The crate, as I stated in an earlier post is about 7' x 2' x 3.5'...I didnt measure it so these are ballpark guesses...plenty of pics to see what it looks like and I think Van's posts these numbers for you. It weighed 303 lbs. It was delivered by FedEx freight and this truck had a liftgate. Using the liftgate, we easily lowered it to the ground and slid two (four wheel) furniture dollies (cheap at Harbor Freight) under each end as we did. From there it was a simple matter to navigate the curb and push it right up the driveway and into the garage.

I had three people available, one of which was a very helpful driver. With the liftgate and dollies, its an easy two person job and probably possible to do by yourself. Without those two items to assist you, it would take two guys with strong backs to carry it...3 or 4 people would be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment