Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Squawks

As I work through my test period, I will keep a running list of open and eventually closed "squawks". I will present them here and keep updating them as I progress so you hopefully gain some insight into your own issues once you start flight testing.
  1. COM2 (PAR100EX) non-operational - I was not receiving or transmitting on COM2, even though it had worked previously. Adding to the confusion, I used my handheld radio and was able to transmit and receive inside the hangar. That made me think the antenna was functional. After checking all wires again, I decided to pull the floor pans and ensure the coax was plugged into the antenna. Sure enough, it wasn't...and was not noticed by myself or the DAR during inspection. So, why was I getting transmission on my handheld? I think the coax was acting as a crude antenna...enough to get the handheld at 10 ft, but not enough to get the ATIS. Closed.
  2. High CHT's - I spent some time doing fiberglass work and adding high temp RTV to as many gaps as I could find for more efficient airflow. The next flight will tell how much it improves my CHT's, which are running about 375-425 deg F right now. Open.
  3. Engine not breaking in - Called Aerosport Power and asked them if 10.5 hrs on the tach is enough time for break-in. They told me not to worry, it sometimes takes longer, although they didn't say why? Maybe my high operational elevation here affects it somehow? Open.
  4. SkyView fuel sensors not calibrating properly - When I tried to calibrate my capacitance sensors one gallon at a time, the voltage read 3.41V and never changed as I added fuel. A call to Dynon support identified that I had the capacitance sensors hooked up to the wrong pins on the EMS. They should be "capacitance" not "resistive" (float type). I need to rewire these and try again, but I think this issue is solved. Resolved.
  5. Air drafts in cockpit - Added rubber door seals to the tip-up canopy, this helped quite a bit. Even with my overlapping fiberglass skirt, there was a fair amount of air entering the cockpit before I did this, which affected my comfort as well as my COM squelch. Closed.
  6. Air drafts at wing root area -  I have aileron boots from CAD, but I was still feeling quite a bit of cold air coming in from the wing, which surprised me. I believe the problem is that I didn't use rubber grommets for my pitot tubing, vent lines and wiring penetrations coming in from the wing. My advice, use rubber so it seals better than plastic snap-in bushings. I didn't think this would be that big of a deal, but it just may be. Now I need to figure out how to fix this after the fact. Open.
  7. No airspeed indication - As mentioned in a previous post, this was a simple matter of having the airspeed and AoA tubes crossed up. I swapped these around and was good to go, problem solved. Closed.
  8. Slow airspeed indication - Again, plenty of detail in a supplemental post, but long story short I was confusing IAS with TAS. Seems like my airspeed indicator is doing its job and is not slow after all...GPS testing will most likely confirm this later. Closed.
  9. SkyView autopilot not functioning properly - I did what appeared to be a successful calibration of my A/P servo motors, but when I tried to do a simple "turn to heading bug" or "wings level" while on the ground it kind of wigged out. It kept going full stick deflection in one direction and bumping into the hard stop over and over again like it was confused. I need to dig into this further on actually how to operate this...very well could be operator error.  Open.
  10. Heavy left wing - My feeling is this is simply a rigging issue. I have a fairly heavy left wing...not just a little heavy, but quite a bit. The aileron trailing edges look good. I am playing around with my aileron and flap rigging right now to try and straighten things up...stay tuned on what I find out. The other possible issue is my left wingtip trailing edge is not perfectly aligned with the aileron...I didn't think this would have an aerodynamic impact, but I will take a look at this also if my rigging adjustment doesn't fix the problem...may need to split the trailing edge and re-fiberglass. Open.

No comments:

Post a Comment