Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Friday, April 25, 2014

Almost There

I wanted to post a quick update, since its been awhile. This week has been a drag, as the airplane has been down for maintenance all week. Compounding my frustration was the favorable weather calling out to me. Its amazing how addicted you become to flying your plane whenever the weather allows.
 
What's the story behind it being down for maintenance, you ask? Well, I had put in an order for two cases of Phillips X/C 20W-50 oil. I had decided to do my first oil change and move away from straight mineral oil.
 
There are many opinions on if and how long to use mineral oil for break-in. I plan to do a engine break-in post later to summarize this. For now, just know that Aerosport Power says the first 25 hrs should be mineral oil. Since my engine is under warranty...that's my plan. I waited a little too long to order the oil and was desparately waiting for it to show up...$175 for two cases of oil by the way, once you add on shipping costs...ouch!
 
Monday afternoon rolls around and I finally have my oil. I start my first oil change...easy peasy, the quick drain plug worked like a charm. I then proceed to change the oil filter (I had bought a case of 6 filters back in February) and realize the threaded portion is too big for my engine! Crap...a quick check reveals I ordered the wrong Tempest filter part number!!! I was one number off...dangit.
 
With no oil filter on hand, I was dead in the water. I quickly placed an aircraft spruce order on my iPhone, but the expected delivery was not until Friday...today. So...I debated putting the old one back on...not a good idea. Or borrowing one, but none were immdediately handy...in the end I decided that this would be a good maintenance break to get the plane ship shape for the May 1st trip to GLO Custom in Dallas, Texas next week. The filters should arrive via FedEx today and flying should resume...and the maintenance break was used wisely, more on that later.
 
I am now at 32.8 hrs on the HOBBS, so closing in fast on my 40 hr flight test specification. I will admit, I am only going to get the bare bones done for the flight test FAA checkoff...Vso, Vx, Vy, maximum weight...that's about it if I remember right. I will re-enter phase I (only 5 hrs) for aerobatic testing after paint. I have been really distracted by the engine break-in issues...and quite honestly I am still developing trust in the airplane and my capabilities before doing serious aerobatics.
 
I will update the issues list and give you an update shortly. The learning curve during phase I has been just as steep or steeper than when I was building. Being the owner/operator of an aircraft is a whole new world with its own set of education, completely different than building. The good news is, I am getting to know my airplane extremely well, which is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment