Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Plenum Sealing

I had a VAF reader compliment my plenum design (previous posts can be found by clicking the keyword "plenum" in the right column), or more specifically how I did the front end (behind the flywheel). I had decided to remove the plenum this week to finally seal up all the gaps I could find with high temp RTV and do some tweaking to the fiberglass also.
 
Keep in mind, it still isn't done...its still a little bit rough, but you get the idea. I wont know for sure until later how well it performs, but I think this solution is going to work just fine. It is very securely mounted, I can move the entire airplane when I grab the plenum.
 
 
I basically just used the standard baffle kit from Van's and cut it to fit my installation. Once I had this in place, I put some packing tape and mold release on the sheet metal and laid up fiberglass to make the transition from plenum to baffles.
 
I then cut some of the rubber material supplied in the baffle kit and laid it over my front (black part) bracket. This sandwiches between the plenum and the bracket as a sort of rubber washer. I used some high temp RTV to hold it in place.


 
These two pics show the transition of the two inlets. As you can see, I didn't use any fasteners in this area and am relying on a nice tight mate between the plenum and baffles. It does fit real nice, so I'm hopeful this is a good enough air seal.


 
These shots give you an idea how I modified the Van's baffle kit to fit my installation. Notice how much I cut down the deflectors also...time will tell how well I did on that as I balance out the thermals on the cylinders.

 
Again, another shot of how the inside of the plenum looks. One thing I failed to mention was that I had to extend the SJ plenum to overlap my front bracket.

 
I then used tinnerman washers and flathead screws to mount it from the top. Notice the two above and in front of the oil cooler.

 
Another detailed view of the top/front.


 
Detailed views of how the inlets look when installed.

 
Lastly, another view of the other side. I hope these pics and description give you enough to go on for your own solution. Or better yet, take what you see here and make it better. I personally like how this turned out, but the proof will be in the pudding...how efficient is it for cooling? Time will tell. The next flight should tell me a lot, now that I have sealed it up better.

No comments:

Post a Comment